Power of Story Send a Tweet        

Share on Google Plus Share on Twitter 5 Share on Facebook 2 Share on LinkedIn Share on PInterest Share on Fark! Share on Reddit 1 Share on StumbleUpon Tell A Friend 3 (11 Shares)  

Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites (# of views)   17 comments
General News

OWS Day #N17 - There will be blood & tens of thousands

By   Follow Me on Twitter     Message Chaz Valenza       (Page 1 of 2 pages)     Permalink

Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; , Add Tags  Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 8   News 8   Supported 7  
View Ratings | Rate It

opednews.com Headlined to H1 11/18/11

Author 23809
Become a Fan
  (34 fans)
- Advertisement -

Occupiers took Wall Street and protested in front of the New York Stock Exchange by getting out of bed just a wee bit earlier than the competition, the NYPD.  The arrest of 100 protesters around the nine o'clock hour delayed the trading session's opening bell. 

Just six hours later, in a windy and rainy Liberty Plaza (Zuccotti Park), the NYPD would spill the blood of an Occupier in a violent beating during an arrest for wearing a mask.

Brendan Watts - Beaten by NYPD #N17
(Image by Andrew Burton / AFP/Getty Images)
  Permission   Details   DMCA

- Advertisement -

Then, at five o'clock an estimated 32,650 (Source: NYPD) would take Foley Square and march in protest over the Brooklyn Bridge.

Just sixty days after the first protesters took Liberty Plaza, the OWS has grown into an important political and social movement with scores of Occupations around the United States.  It has managed to refocus the national debate from budget cuts to joblessness, diminishing opportunities, inflation and financial hardship.

Occupier Chris G., who has protested every day in lower Manhattan since the OWS began on September 17, said the Stock Exchange march and protest was, "the greatest thing I've ever seen."

- Advertisement -

Foley Square was to be OWS's point of assembly for the day, but since the city's destruction of the Liberty Plaza encampment in the dark early morning hours of November 15, Occupiers decided to retake the public space after the Stock Exchange protest.

Brookfield Properties, owners of the Liberty Plaza public space, now have the park surrounded by three layers of NYPD steel barricades with private security monitoring what citizens bring into the park.

The entry to the park was through a single four foot wide opening, essentially caging everyone inside.  Police I asked were not able to explain how this enhanced safety.  By eleven o'clock, over three thousand people had returned to the park.  Ten remote television vans set up on the south side and hundreds of police in full riot gear surrounded the perimeter.

A noon march back to Wall Street and the Stock Exchange was thwarted by police who closed the Wall Street entrance at Broadway creating a bottleneck of pedestrians and protesters.

Prior to the Tuesday ransack, OWS was an organized and predictable protest with a structure and a plan.  By breaking up the encampment Mayor Bloomberg has effectively created many protests out of one, cutting off the head of the Hydra only to watch it grow many more.  The result is a less stable event with police enforcement that is disjointed and unable to keep up.

- Advertisement -

At two o'clock Occupiers managed to move a number of barricades allowing a free flow of people in and out of the park.  The overall number of protesters grew into the thousands with Union workers having lunch and the arrival of Occupiers from encampments in nearby cities.

Then a sudden panic erupted from the northwest corner of the park where a group of NYPD officers ran down a protester who refused to remove his mask.  Occupiers watched in horror as the police beat the man and smashed his head into a granite curb.  Other demonstrators were shoved and pushed about. 

Protesters made peace signs in the air with both hands and chanted "peaceful" over and over to no avail as still more police rushed into the crowd.  No matter where protesters moved, police wanted them to move elsewhere. 

By four o'clock the police had arrested some 177 protesters.  Later, in a statement with Police Chief Kelly, Mayor Bloomberg claimed 10 police officers were injured.

Next Page  1  |  2


- Advertisement -

Must Read 8   News 8   Supported 7  
View Ratings | Rate It


Chaz Valenza is writer and small business owner in New Jersey. He earned his MBA from New York University's Stern School of Business. His current feature film project is "Single Point Failure" an insider's account of how the Reagan Administration (more...)

Share on Google Plus Submit to Twitter Add this Page to Facebook! Share on LinkedIn Pin It! Add this Page to Fark! Submit to Reddit Submit to Stumble Upon Share Author on Social Media   Go To Commenting

The views expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of this website or its editors.

Follow Me on Twitter

Writers Guidelines

Contact AuthorContact Author Contact EditorContact Editor Author PageView Authors' Articles
- Advertisement -

Most Popular Articles by this Author:     (View All Most Popular Articles by this Author)

America's 14 Most Ready to Riot Cities

It's Official: Gov Stats Shows the Middle Class is Dead

Top Ten Twitter "so I pepper sprayed him" Jokes

Occupy Wall Street: Day 9 - 200+ Arrested - MSM Finally Wake-up

Three Rules for Living through the Second Depression

Occupy Wall Street Day 8: 100+ Arrested for Peaceful, Legal Protest; Nets & Pepper Spray Used.