Happy New Year! Have you made your resolutions for 2013? Here are mine:
1. Learn the names of the people two doors down from me and invite them over for dinner.
2. Learn how to make dinner.
3. Buy a gun. Stroke it. Squeeze it. Hold it. Love it. Shoot it! Ahhhh... Buy more guns... Stroke them...
5. Apologize for No. 4. I have enormous respect for anyone who would offer to sacrifice their life to defend my right to live. Is there any greater gift one can give another? It's not the troops' fault they're sent to invade other countries for dubious reasons and outright lies. It's OUR responsibility to prevent this, to elect representatives who believe in peace, and to only put our troops in harm's way when it's absolutely necessary. My uncle was killed in World War II. Today would have been his 90th birthday. My dad still misses him. Our family has served this country in the military since the Revolutionary War. None of them watch Fox News.
6. Drink more water.
7. Wear color.
8. Find the best person who can run for and win the governor's chair here in Michigan in 2014. Work every day to win back the Michigan House and Senate from its Republican majority.
9. Read more fiction. Support my local indie bookstore. Help people create Little Free Libraries and put one up in front of our theater in Traverse City. Don't use glowing screens to read books. Write the next one.
10. Keep walking, dude!
That's my list. Send me yours via Twitter and Facebook. Click here to join me on the walks. Let's be kind to each other in the coming year. And let's encourage Obama to ACT, to make history, and to be remembered as one of our greatest presidents.
Here's hoping for a peaceful 2013.
Follow Michael Moore on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MMFlint
Crossposted at The Huffington Post