- WIFI Banned in Nursery Schools.
- National Radiofrequency Agency Established.
- Cell Phones Labeled with SAR Values and Ways to Lower Radiation.
- WiFi Routers Turned Off in Elementary Schools Except When Needed.
- Cell Phone Ads Must Recommend Phones be Held Away From the Head.
- Location of Wireless Routers Must be Posted.
- Government Report To Be Prepared on Electro-hypersensitivity.
Professor Annie Sasco, MD, DSc former Cancer Prevention Chief of the International Agency for Research on Cancer and a distinguished science adviser to Environmental Health Trust sends us her report about France's new national law regulating electromagnetic field exposure.
On January 29, 2015, the French National Assembly made history by passing a new national law to reduce exposures to wireless radiation electromagnetic fields.
- WiFi Banned in Nursery Schools: WIFI and Wireless devices will be banned in "the spaces dedicated to home, to rest and activities of children under 3 years".
- WiFi Minimized in Schools: In schools for children up to 11 years, WIFI routers should be turned off when not in use for pedagogic purposes.
- Schools Will be Informed: The board of the school should be informed when new tech equipment is being installed in schools.
- Cell Tower Emission Compliance Will Be Verified: A decree will define the limits of emission of equipments for electronic communications or transmission to which the public is exposed. These values can be verified by accredited organisations and results will be made accessible to the public through a National Radiofrequency Agency.
- Citizens Will Have Access to Environmental/Cell Tower Radiation Measurements Near homes: Every resident may get access to the results of measurements for their living space. Conditions of information of the public as well as involvement of the local authorities are specified as are the steps to follow in case of disagreement.
- Cell Antennae Maps For the Country: A description and map of the places with atypical (higher than the limits) places will be conducted at regular intervals with follow up of the actions being taken to limit the exposure. A map of all antennas will be produced for each town
- Continued Evaluation of Health Effects: The National Radiofrequence Agency will be in charge of surveillance and vigilance, evaluating potential risks and setting up scientific research, including information on health effects.
- SAR Radiation Labeling Mandated: The SAR of cell phones must be clearly indicated on the package.
- Information on Reducing Exposures Mandatory: Information on ways to reduce exposure will be detailed in the contents of the cell phone package. .
- WIFI Hotspots will be Labeled: Places where WIFI is provided should be clearly marked with a pictogram.
- Advertisements Must Recommend Devices That Reduce Radiation Exposure to the Brain: Advertising for cell phones should clearly indicate the recommendation of hand free kits for protection of the head of the user and it will be included in the package. Advertising for cell phone not accompanied by such a kit is forbidden. Companies in violation will be fined 75,000 Euros.
- Children Must Be Provided Protections: At the request of the buyer, equipment reducing cell phone radiation exposures to the head for children less than 14 years should be provided.
- The Public Will Be Informed: Within a year, a policy of information on awareness and information on a responsible and reasonable use of cell phones and other apparatus emitting radiofrequencies will be set up.
- Electrohyper-sensitivity Report To Be Submitted: Within a year, a report on electrohyper sensitivity must be given to the Parliament.
This new law represents a significant step forward. Further laws and decrees may reinforce the current law, in particular with a stronger protection in schools.
Annie Sasco, MD D.Sc,
Dr. Annie Sasco, served the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) in Lyon, France, for 22 years, including posts as Chief of Epidemiology for Cancer Prevention and Acting Chief of the Cancer Control Programme of the World Health Organization (WHO), She earned her MA,MS, and DSc from Harvard University and is currently Professor of Epidemiology University of Bordeaux.
Passed bill in French
Passed Bill translated into English
Excellent coverage from around the world
Translated France News coverage sent from Joel Moskowitz PhD
A Law to Regulate Exposure to Electromagnetic Fields, Pierre Le Hir, Le Monde, Jan 29, 2015
A Law to Regulate Exposure to Electromagnetic Fields