Note: this is a revised appeal letter and includes a link to the online form to sign our letter to Congress!
Download a copy of this letter for distribution.
Dear American Patriot,
You have undoubtedly been solicited by several large organizations and others to sign petitions for election reform at the national level. There are many legislative proposals to amend the 2002 Help America Vote Act (HAVA). We represent an affiliation of citizen election reformers working in a direction that we know can WORK and can restore democratic elections to our country.
We are asking for your support of our Request by Voters, and for permission to add your name to our letter to Congress. Please respond with your affirmation of support TODAY. Sign your name to our letter to Congress here.
Request by Voters: www.democracyfornewhampshire.com/files/requestbyvoters.pdf
Executive Summary: http://www.democracyfornewhampshire.com/files/request-by-voters-executive-summary.pdf
Then, pass on this request to everyone you know. Contact YOUR Congressional representatives and ask them to help amend the Holt Bill to include the remedies and recommendations found in the Request by Voters. Contact Congressman Rush Holt, and tell him you support the Request by Voters.
Contact Congressman Holt here: firstname.lastname@example.org
HAVA and currently proposed legislative amendments focus on technology-based elections, our remedies focus on democratic elections. We believe the question of if and how technology fits into elections must build off of this foundation, and not vice versa.
H.R. 550 (the "Holt Bill") contains the framework to make this happen, if amended. We strongly oppose legislation, including S-450, which unrealistically proposes turning our elections into high-tech, high-cost, low-democracy events.
The time for action is NOW, and it is urgent. Congress wants to act swiftly on election reform, but they are going down the wrong path. A dangerous path. It is up to us to help them out of the woods. We can provide them with the necessary cover to DO THE RIGHT THING by bringing public pressure to bear to follow the right path this time around.
Many forces are united behind maintaining the techno-election industry whose lobbyists paid for the passage of HAVA. We need a greater force to support democratic elections. We need YOUR HELP. We need the true grassroots, the patriots of the Republic, to affirm your support, sign on, and help save our Republic.
The Request by Voters Remedies and Recommendations are simple and straightforward. They are supported by some of the most experienced and intelligent election officials in the nation because they know IT WILL WORK.
Our Request by Voters will be sent to members of Congress, together with a copy of the book :HACKED!"
Early sponsors of our Request by Voters include the following organizations and individuals:
- Senator Jackie Cilley, NH District 6
- Representative Andrew J. Edwards, Nashua, NH 03062
- Representative Eileen Ehlers, Hooksett, NH
- Representative Lily Mesa, Manchester, NH
- Bev Harris, BlackBoxVoting.ORG
- Joan Brunwasser, Election News Editor, OpEdNews.com
- Citizens to Stop Computerized Voting
- Coalition for Visible Ballots
- Abbe Waldman Delozier, Editor, "Hacked"
- Democracy for New Hampshire
- Democracy for New Hampshire Fair Elections Committee
- Election Defense Alliance
- Election Integrity
- Aaron Freeman, comedian and actor
- Steve Freeman, Election activist
- Bruce Funk, County Clerk, Emery County, Utah
- Harland Harrison, Candidate for Congress, CA District 12, Libertarian Party, 2004 & 2006
- Thom Hartmann, Journalist
- Steve Heller, Diebold Election Systems whistleblower
- Jackson Action
- Larry L. Jackson , 2006 Chair 30th District Democrats
- Rob Kall, Managing Editor, OpEdNews.com
- Vickie Karp, Editor, "Hacked"
- Camille Khattar , Precinct Chair 14, Democratic Party of Collin County, North Texas
- Latinos for America
- Paul Lehto, Election law attorney
- Mark Crispin Miller, Author
- Memphis Operation Election Integrity
- Josh Mitteldorf
- National Ballot Integrity Project
- New Hampshire Ballot Integrity Task Force
- New Hampshire Citizens Alliance
- New Hampshire Women Making a Difference
- New Hampshire PIRG
- Progressive Democrats of America-- Metro San Diego chapter
- Protect California Ballots
- Mary Patee , H D # 27 Chair Jeffco Democrats, Jefferson Count - Arvada Peace & Justice
- Protect California Ballots
- San Diego Democracy For America
- Wanda Schwerer, Committeeperson, Pinellas County Democratic Party, Belleair Beach
- Show Me The Vote Missouri
- TrueVoteSan Diego
- Vote Rescue, Austin, Texas
- Jeanie Williams-West , Local Democratic Party Executive Committee, State central committee, local parish executive committee
- YubaNet News
- Howard Zinn
Please help. Please affirm your support TODAY and that of your organization if applicable. We can no longer do this alone. We need you.
Nancy Tobi, Chair
Democracy for New Hampshire
PO Box 717
Concord, NH 03301
As Bev Harris says, we can do this thing. But we need YOU to help us get it done.