Iraq is representative of a whole host of issues that the Democrats are offering no real alternative to. Solving Iraq is not a problem if you just want to fix Iraq and don 't have any ulterior motive or empire based hubris about it. We are spending in excess of $5 billion a month to enrage the Iraqis against each other and ourselves. Pull out tomorrow and offer to give them the same amount if they meet certain goals. These could include 1) democratic principles of government that treat the Sunni minority and women equally, 2) fair distribution of the revenue from oil resources amongst its population, 3) a peaceful role in middle eastern affairs.
In the mean time the Bush administration if flailing around like a chicken with its head cut off (if Rove is indicted this may be the perfect analogy). It is facing multiple indictments, caught in a quagmire in Iraq, a deteriorating situation in Afghanistan, an overall foreign policy that has made us hated the world over and spent more on defense and homeland security then any administration in history while making us all more at risk. It has fumbled national disasters so badly that the President 's brother is trying to take some of the heat off by taking the blame. In the mean time we are all being forced to watch as the administration hands out no bid contracts to his friends and gives the environment over to corporate multinational rapists.
The economy is headed down the toilet for working people who are getting ready to take a cut in salary, lose their health benefits and pension funds. Retirees are looking towards eating dog food to avoid freezing this winter while being forced to subsidize the drug companies with a deduction from their social security checks for the Medicare prescription package. The Right 's own coalition of corporate interests, neo-cons and religious nut cases is coming apart over the Supreme Court nomination, the deficit, immigrants and Iraq. Right now the administration couldn 't win a campaign for dogcatcher and yet sadly the best the Democrats can offer is Republican lite.
Instead of a Party Platform Unify the People With a Mission
1. Universal Healthcare. This is a no-brainer, Dan Quayle couldn 't screw this up. The vast majority of the country supports it period and every study shows it. Studies from the University of Boston School for Public Health show that there is enough money in the system to pay for everyone to have decent healthcare and give doctors a raise, simply by going to a single payer system. You still get to choose your doctor, you doctor doesn 't work for the government and we will have rational healthcare reimbursement for appropriate services.
Our car insurance will go down, our homeowner 's insurance will go down, our business liability and workers compensation insurance will go down, tort reform will no longer be an issue over who is going to be richer, trial lawyers or corporate lawyers and we can get our bunions taken care of. Its simple, stop kissing up to your campaign contributors and represent the interests of the American People.
2. Expand Social Security to provide a decent Disability Pension and Retirement for every one. This is impossible right? Wrong. Take the upper limit off from income taxed for social security and expand it to dividends and capital gains. In addition requiring the payment of a real living wage would raise tremendous sums due to additional social security contributions. While this would raise the price of some goods and services, there would also be some offset in costs due to retirement, medical and disability no longer being a cost to business Phase out or convert private plans, that 's what business is doing anyway without any safety net. People who have more then the conversion would pay get to keep the difference in a private account.
3. Support the growth of local economies and small business. The government could invest the money collected for social security and disability in community owned, controlled and operated credit unions that would loan the people money to start small businesses. The credit unions could recruit scores of retiring executives and business people to mentor, educate and guide small business development. Given access to expertise and capital, workers who are held in bondage to healthcare and pensions would desert corporate slavery corporations in droves to set up small local businesses. Small town America would thrive again, local economies would grow as a result of keeping money in the community as opposed to sending it to Bentonville, Arkansas every night.
4. Invest in Infrastructure. If there ever was something to invest in to help every American it is modernizing the infrastructure. We need leadership to think on the scale of Eisenhower. The coming wars in the world will be economic not military. We are in perfect position to win a conventional military war but will lose the coming economic ones if we don 't change. How do we win? Expand and modernize and nationalize transportation, energy production and communication in public bond financed corporations funded by the new social security investment funds along with private capital. Run them like rural electric cooperatives with returns benefiting public accounts and private investors.
The government should be investing heavily in modernizing the rail systems, if necessary reclaim through condemnation the railroad right of ways that have been abandoned and use the current interstate highway infrastructure to build high-speed rail service for both passengers and freight across the country. Put in spur lines to every community. It is the cheapest, fastest and most fuel-efficient way to move people and goods. The rest of the world knows it and we got behind being sidetracked by cars. Give the contracts to American auto and defense companies to build the next generation of equipment and rails on a competitive bid basis.
Contract with companies to install free wi-fi everywhere in America, make it interactive with mobile phones, sit back and watch technology boom, the same with the airways and bandwidths. Open a certain percentage to citizen media and supply the technology and equipment for citizen use and watch the corporate media change. This would also give small businesses the opportunity to advertise and trade nationally and internationally directly with consumers instead of through corporate middlemen.- Advertisement -
Supply state and national funding only for land use that promotes energy, environmental and people friendly growth in building and infrastructure development. Regulate energy for efficiency, conservation and environmental cleanliness. Discontinue the moon and Mars missions and the anti ballistic missile plans to help pay for it and redirect research efforts. NASA should become internationalized and concentrate on missions that focus on solving energy problems and improving the human condition for everyone.
5. Invest in Education. Universal education through college or trade school for every American with the opportunity to return to school to upgrade skills for free. Education is the core of democracy and the key to human freedom, to deny it to anyone is to sentence them to economic and political slavery. We pay for it by restoring tax cuts and the estate tax. Education is the biggest subsidy we provide to businesses, why are we charging someone for something that is primarily used to profit someone else.