The US State Department issued a two line, belated release late Monday (March 26), condemning the violence of last week in the Democratic Republic of Congo. China was the first to publish the State Department comments. What is most disturbing is that the number of dead and wounded was low-balled at 12 dead and 47 wounded in the Chinese release. Yet, yesterday MONUC was reporting 100 dead and sources on the ground were telling me that, “Despite official figures, there are over 400 dead and more than that wounded.”
That figure has “officially” increased dramatically today with wire reports quoting the European Union expressing concern that the violence left between 200 and 500 dead. The figure came from hospital sources, aid groups and diplomats, the German envoy, Karl-Albrecht Wokalek, told a press conference given by 14 EU ambassadors, according to wire service reports.
Until the EU report came out today, Reuters was reporting that the Soccer Nations qualifier cup is being called off due to the clashes. They have finally picked up on the casualties.
I have said before that truth shape shifts in Congo.
Still, nothing appears in mainstream media here.
Meanwhile, Anderson Cooper spent a good portion of his air time on 360 examining Anna Nicole Smith’s tox screens. Over four million are dead in DRC and counting.