We speak the language of the educated middle class but NOT the language of the pub or gym. We're good at debating and making pronouncements but we're lousy at loving.
We've lost touch with who we are as fragile, sinful, sexual, human persons and we have lost touch with who Jesus is and what He is on about too." [http://fatherdave.org/ "Sex, the Ring and the Eucharist",page 144]
What Christ was on about was confronting the empire with words and NOT a sword. He didn't give a flip about most of what USA Christians go on and on about in the 21st century.
Christ was clear: "You must forgive to be forgiven."
What Christ was on about was that the only way to follow Jesus is to love all and NOT judge others.
Christ said that to be his sister and brother is to do the will of God.
"He has told you man, what is required:
Do justice, be merciful and walk humbly with your Lord."-Micah 6:8
What we have in the West is a lot of religion about Jesus, but NOT the philosophy, morals and religion that Christ taught.
Thomas Jefferson weeded out the miracle stories and gave us "The Philosophy and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth"
1. Be just: justice comes from virtue which comes from the heart.
2. Treat people the way we want to be treated.
3. Always work for PEACEFUL resolutions, even to the point of returning violence with COMPASSION.
4. Consider valuable the things that have no material value.
5. Do not judge others.
6. Do not bear grudges.
7. Be modest and unpretentious.
8. Give out of true generosity, not because we expect to be repaid.
9. Being true to one's self in more important than being loyal to one's family...those who think they know the most are the most ignorant......
Imagine a world when everyone who claimed that they are a Christian actually did what the Master taught.