On the Godfather's advice to keep my friends close, but my enemies closer, I subscribe to the GOP's far right Internet rag, Human Events (HumanEventsOnline.com). For elucidation purposes only, I cannot recommend too highly the free subscription. You've really got to see what they're saying, and what they're up to. The news would shock few, however it is extraordinarily informative.
Yesterday, HE published their version of a "survey." However, before I post an absolutely unvarnished, unedited copy of the "survey," I'd like to prepare you for what the RNC (and likely Fox News) considers an honest "survey" should look like.
While I lived in Bradenton, Florida a few years ago, I was recovering from the local 55+ senior mobile home park mail center a quite senior's mail. One envelope in particular quaked my otherwise static interest. It was from the RNC (Republican National Committee).
Yeah, yeah, yeah . . . so indict me: In full knowledge it was a clear violation of US postal regulations the envelope was opened before it got to the intended recipient. In fact, the article never reached the intended recipient. Enclosed was one of the RNC's tamer "push-polls."
A more egregious example of such a survey question might have read something like this: "If you knew that bleeding-heart liberal senator John Kerry regularly had sex with an underage Muslim male terrorist, would you (A.) Feel it was a private matter between Kerry and the terrorist? (B) Have no opinion, one way, or another? (C.) Feel President Bush should stay the course in his honorable struggle against the terrorists who want to destroy America and their immoral, America-hating Democratic supporters?
"Can you help President Bush with a (A.) $50.00 donation, (B.) $100.00 donation, (C.) $500.00 donation, (D.) 5555-5555-5555-5555 is my credit card account number, take whatever you want, I hate those commie loving Democrats."
Ready? Now, pay very close attention to the word choices. Here goes: (http://www.nrcc.org/survey/default.asp?ID=226)
1. Do you support the House Democrats' "slow-bleed" strategy to "choke-off" funding for our troops in Iraq, leading to their withdrawal and a perception of American defeat?
2. Should Republicans continue fighting for full implementation of a ballistic missile defense system?
3. Do you agree with the Nancy Pelosi Democrat Majority’s decision to impose massive tax hikes on the American people? (Break from the copy, because I really loved this one. Nancy Pelosi, and all Democrats, secretly lie awake nights just trying to scheme how to “impose massive tax hikes on the American people.”)
4. Do you support making all of the Bush tax cuts permanent?
5. Do you think that House Republicans should continue to push for pro-growth policies that create jobs and oppose tax increases that would add a burden to working families and set back our economy?
6. Do you support Congressional Republicans’ efforts to decrease domestic government spending in order to reduce the national deficit?
7. Do you support the Democrats’ efforts to give federal government bureaucrats complete control of your health care costs and choices?
8. Should Republicans in Congress make expansion of Veterans’ benefits a priority?
9. Do you support maintaining anti-terrorism laws that give law enforcement and intelligence agencies the far-reaching powers to track, detain and prosecute terrorists and their accomplices?
(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).