"Bold, brave and undaunted is young Greenhouse on the march!"
Undaunted by last Thursday's flash flood, students at Salem's pre-K-8th Greenhouse School went ahead with their overnight at the school.
Every two weeks in the Summer, older students have their camp out, complete with nature walk, cookout, smores, swimming, flashlights and sleeping bags.
"It's great to have the kids in the Summer too--it's another way to really get to know them," says Director Julia Nambalirwa-Lugudde. "It's a blast," chimes in her husband, Director Dan Welch.
"One thing that really melts my heart is to see a newcomer, away from home for the first time, being helped by a veteran teenager whose first overnight I remember."
Information about the school and its programs is available by calling the school or through the website at http://www.greenhouseschool.org.
If you want to make a huge donation to support the work we're doing, that's fine with us too! Okay, well, tell your friends anyway!
1. Undaunted, the kids set out on their nature walk, candy-colored umbrellas defying a gray and angry sky.
2. The haze lifts and students [Jordan, Jonah, Funmi and Theo] pose on a rock at sunset. By chance, in the background is Ms. Welch's house, on the hill, though hidden behind the trees.
3. It's not an overnight without s'mores!
4. Jonah, Bunmi and Keanu ready to go to bed (...NOT!) Poetically, Keanu lost his first tooth on his first overnight.
5. A weary Ms. Julia slogs through preparing a healthy breakfast. Mr. Danny is equally hard at work finding the right camera angle !
|The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author
and do not necessarily reflect those of this website or its editors.