A Call to Action!
By Thomas Baldwin, Biloxi, MS
December 15, 2013
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."-- Albert Einstein
Duopoly: "preponderant influence or control by two political powers."
Demolish: "to destroy by breaking apart; to put an end to."
Corporate fascism (or Corporatism): "the complete merger of corporate and state entities to create a political entity."
The United States is experiencing a serious crisis and most Americans know it. It could well be the most serious situation in at least a hundred years. For years now several authors have described our government in Washington as being "broken" or "dysfunctional". But these words seem inadequate any longer. It is much more like a "living" entity that is dying and is in a critical state; all vital signs are poor. Little or nothing gets done; few if any serious problems are addressed. Everything is addressed as "partisan." But that is a delusion because as I will mention later there is really only one party with two different factions serving the corporate fascists. When the two factions finally agree on something, then it is called "bipartisan" because the two political parties appear to be constantly fighting over power and money. What, if anything, is to be done about this evil charade?
The election of Barack Obama in 2008 was run on a campaign of "Hope and Change". We had experienced eight years of a troubling presidency by Republican George W. Bush. Bush's approval rating had sunk to about 30% near the end of his second term. We had experienced nearly 7 years of a "war on terrorism" including two major invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan at a cost of well over a trillion dollars. Our financial situation had steadily deteriorated until the economy nearly collapsed in 2008. Emergency measures led to bailing out the big banks for hundreds of billions of dollars. The stock market had collapsed to about 50% of its high and unemployment increased dramatically with nearly 8 million people losing their jobs.
But after five years of a Democratic presidency under Barack Obama, the "hope and change" he had promised never came. Numerous writers have documented how the policies of George Bush have not only been continued by Obama, but, in fact, worsened in several respects. In particular, civil liberties (under a president who was presumably a "constitutional lawyer") have been significantly reduced or eroded with increased frequency in the wrong doing of our surveillance state, indefinite detention under NDAA, criminal prosecutions of whistle blowers, foreign invasions (e.g. drone attacks) and assassinations violating the sovereignty of nations. Threats to bomb Syria to "remove" chemical weapons were made and based upon false intelligence. On the domestic front, most employment gains have been from temporary, part-time, or lower-wage jobs; universal healthcare that was promised looks increasing like an illusion and possibly a big lie. Certainly healthcare costs will not be controlled because the ACA was a huge give away to the private-sector insurance companies and big pharmaceuticals and millions will still be without coverage.
The big gains experienced in the stock market are simply increasing the profitability of the corporations and the riches of the very wealthy, further aggravating the income/wealth inequities separating the 1% from the other 99% of Americans. Americans are as pessimistic as they have been in decades and that is also reflected in their loss of confidence in their government. Congressional approval ratings have sunk to 8%, the lowest in recorded history. We have no promising leaders emerging on a national level, just a recycling of the same old two-party political jargon and propaganda already looking at and preparing for future elections three years in advance. One thing Barack Obama has proven and made crystal clear to me: There will be no "hope and change" if we continue on this path.
In continuing to tolerate these worsening conditions and allowing the two political parties to completely control our future, we are, in effect, admitting to insanity--"doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Of course some have just given up and dropped out. It is similar to what an addict does in continuing to practice his habit of using a substance that controls his/her life by using just one more time and expecting to change things later. We need to apply "recovery" techniques to our political system and that most likely requires that we go "cold turkey" on continuing to tolerate the Democratic and Republican parties' total control of our political system and our government. In recent polls as many as 60% of Americans say they welcome additional or "third" political parties.
(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).