An unintended response to Geller's ad
(Image by Google Images w/caption by Rev Dan) Permission Details DMCA
(Note: The above photo depicting the execution
of homosexuals in Iran was not part of the Geller campaign ads, but one of the
photos included in a corresponding comment posted on The American Freedom
Initiative's website. The imposed captioning is mine - RevDan).
Pandering to fears of Sharia law is usual fodder for Pam Geller, but her latest ads target a different demographic, and in San Francisco, the home of that demographic.
The above ad is to run on the side of San Francisco MUNI buses and other transit, but in a turn-around strategy, The SFMTA (Transit Authority) will donate a portion of Geller's money to the Human Rights Commission. Theresa Sparks of the Commission said that they would take Geller's money of hate and turn it into something positive for the community. The sentiment was apparently lost on Geller who captioned the YouTube clip of Sparks with "San Francisco Human Rights Theresa Sparks City Officials support jihad, anti-gay, anti-woman." (see below)
The reaction to the ads is very revealing and probably unintended by Geller: the Right is all too righteous and the Left (mostly gays) is repulsed at being used.
Geller Group (from Atlas Shrugs)
- and hopefully those PC liberal gays will heed to this.- We must suffer the stupid 'til we can enlighten them. Patience!Patience! Patience!
- It's about time somebody did this in the heart of Californication. It might be a hilarious idea to set up a fund "to support oppressed homosexuals in the Middle East". Maybe to even convince homosexuals to travel there to make a nuisance of themselves.(NOTE: this is the comment to which the above photo was attached)
And from Bare Naked Islam (It really isn't Islamophobia when they really ARE trying to kill you!):
American Freedom Defense Initiative (AFDI) submits new bus ads on "Muslim Oppression of Homosexuals' to San Francisco Transit. As with most leftists, the Gay community has at best been missing in action when it comes to the anti-jihad movement. More often, they attack us. I wonder where they will be now?
Gays (from Joe.My.God):
- One disgusting creature denouncing other equally vile characters.
- I think it's perfectly reasonable to despise these hateful regimes in the Middle East and elsewhere (Indonesia, Pakistan) and still consider Geller a hate-fulled nut case.
- Apply her thinking in New York and you get Islamophobia, apply it in Iran and you get death sentences for gays. She is who we are fighting in Iran just as she is who we are fighting here.
Gay comments frequently point out Geller's own anti-gay stance: for example, Geller virulently opposed the appointment of Kevin Jennings by Obama:
From Atlas Shrugs:
"President Obama has appointed Kevin Jennings, founder of GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network) ... Jennings is a vicious, anti-religious bigot who once said "[F--k] "em" to the "Religious Right." He supports promoting homosexuality and gender confusion as normative to even young students."
In comments about Geller, the Christian Right was often referred to as the Christian Taliban.
Whose Jihad Is It?
While the LGBT community of San Francisco has always been considered the focal point for equal rights, few in the gay community consider the struggle akin to a religion. It is certainly not a "holy war" since that term is used by some social conservatives to indicate their fight against gay rights. "What's yours?" paints the picture of virulently militant gays, the kind characterized by such organizations as Act Up! But Act Up! was focused on the AIDS crisis and government's inaction, especially in the realm of medical research and treatment. It chastised the sacred cows like Jesse Helms, Jerry Falwell, and Pat Robertson, but never invoked the name of God. The term of Jihad, therefore is totally misplaced, and, in fact, offensive.
The Jihad is in Geller's mind - where it is always been.