Posted by Katie Singer
What is Health?
A Conversation After Reading An Electronic Silent Spring
Between Reader ZL and Author Katie Singer www.electronicsilentspring.com
ZL: While I think that anyone would experience adverse effects by living "Six Feet Under Ten Cell Phone Antennas," I wonder what the difference is between resilient and non-resilient folks. Could the suffering ones be helped to become more like the resiient ones?
KS: I've got lots of responses to these questions.
First, I think you're looking only at the immediate effects of EMR exposure. Studies find that 3% of the population experiences Electro-Hypersensitivity (EHS) when they're exposed to electromagnetic radiation (EMR) emitted by powerlines, transformers, cordless landline phones, mobile phones, pads or tablets, Wi-Fi, cell towers, "smart" transmitting utility meters, electric or hybrid cars, fluorescent lights, digital electronics with switch-mode power supplies etc. Some studies show that increasing numbers of the population has EHS. They get headaches, insomnia, flu-like symptoms, nausea, bloody noses, dizziness, memory problems, tremors, depression and many other symptoms with EMR exposure.
In the U.S., even 3% of the population is about nine million adults and one million children. Every one of these people matter. But while the majority do not experience immediate effects of EMR exposure, every living creature is affected.
If every creature is affected, why focus only on 3% of the population?
Consider health effects that take years to develop; that come from 24/7/365 (chronic) exposure; that come from multiple sources.
Consider what happens when exposure begins in utero or childhood, while the brain and other organs are developing. What happens when someone sleeps with a router and/or charging phone beside their head, works in direct sight of a cell tower, has a neighborhood with "smart" transmitting utility meters on every home and has used a mobile phone for more than 30 minutes per day since turning 16? What happens when EMR exposure is combined with mercury toxicity (perhaps sourced from dental work or fish consumption) or exposure to pesticides or mold?
Why do some people smoke a pack of cigarettes every day and live apparently healthy lives, while others never smoke and get lung cancer?