Below are foreign policy highlights and lowlights from the first month of Donald Trump's presidency.
- Trump said: "Russia " this is fake news put out by the media ... I'm here today to tell you the whole Russian thing, that's a ruse."
- "It's going to be impossible for [me] to ever get along with Russia because of all the pressure [I've] got with this fake story"
- "If we could get along with Russia " China and Japan and everyone " it would be a positive thing, not a negative thing".
- "I say it's better to get along with Russia than not."
- When asked about Russian President Vladimir Putin, who was called a "killer" by the interviewer, Trump responded, "We've got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country is so innocent?... take a look at what we've done too."
- "We made a lot of mistakes. I've been against the war in Iraq from the beginning " A lot of mistakes, but a lot of people were killed. A lot of killers around, believe me."
- Russian lawmakers & economists optimistic after Putin-Trump call.
- Trump: "They have sanctions on Russia -- let's see if we can make some good deals with Russia ... For one thing, I think nuclear weapons should be way down and reduced very substantially."
- NY Times Op-Ed: "Why Trump Is Right on Russia".
- Secretary Tillerson fires much of the seventh-floor staff at the State Department. The seventh-floor was referred to as "the shadow government" in an FBI release.
- Trump Nixes Elliott Abrams for State Dept. Job.
- Trump: "The Israelis are going to have to show some flexibility [on Palestine], which is " hard to do".
- Regarding a one-state or two-state solution, Trump said, "I want the one that both parties [Israel and Palestine] want."
- White House: New or expanded Israeli settlements "may not be helpful" in achieving peace.
- Belgrade Breathes Easier as Trump's Win Marks End to Clinton-Era Interventionism.
- US troops deploy to Bulgaria as part of NATO operation.
- Hundreds of US Troops, Tanks Arrive in Romania.
- Trump: "Crimea was TAKEN by Russia during the Obama Administration. Was Obama too soft on Russia?"
- Saudi crown prince receives CIA honor for anti-terror efforts.
- US-led coalition air strikes killed 18 Afghan civilians, U.N. says.
- US tanks, infantry fighting vehicles arrive in Estonia amid NATO buildup on Russian borders.
- US to Deploy Navy Destroyer Off Yemen Coast.
- Trump: 'Nothing Off the Table' On Iran.
- US sanctions Iran after missile test.
- Nikki Haley just delivered the Trump administration's most hawkish words yet toward Russia.
- Many Civilians Among the Dead After US Raid in Yemen.
- President Trump said he believes that "torture works."
- The first arms sales of the Trump administration: $1.85 billion to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Britain and Kenya (pending congressional approval).
- U.S., Coalition Continue Strikes Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq.
- NATO has our 'unshakeable commitment', Pentagon chief vows.
- US declines to send formal delegation to Syria peace talks, citing timing issues; will instead send an ambassador.
- Yemen Reports First US Drone Strikes Under Trump - 10 Killed in Two Strikes.
- Donald Trump's top team don't all agree with him on Russia.
- Tillerson Wants to Provide Saudi Arabia With More Help to Bomb Yemen.
- Mattis: US Needs to Be Ready to 'Confront' Russia.
NOTE: The information above is excerpted from the St. Pete for Peace fact sheet on the Trump administration's foreign policy. The fact sheet will be updated throughout the Trump presidency.