Share on Facebook Share on Twitter 1 Share on LinkedIn Share on Reddit Tell A Friend Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites

The U.S. Carries the LOAD

By       Message Rohn Kenyatta       (Page 1 of 1 pages)     Permalink    (# of views)   16 comments

Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; (more...) ; ; ; ; , Add Tags  (less...)
Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 4   Well Said 3   Supported 2

opednews.com Headlined to H1 11/2/18

When I was a child, there was one radio station in Los Angeles that played "black" music. That station was KGFJ "the sound of success". When I was six or so, James Brown released a song called "Make it Funky". God I loved that song.

One day, while in the Mustang with my dad, that song came on and I started singing it. My dad stopped at a red light and said to me: "Boy, you say make it stinky"don't say that word". "Funky" was akin to other expletives; I would have never thought that music would include the type of language it does today. That boorishness, loudness, rudeness, discourtesy and profaneness would not only be the proverbial order of the day; but sought after, revered and applauded. I would have never thought that the social paradigm of decency would shift so violently towards indecency in a scant half century.

Burn baby, burn.

From my totally subjective socio-economic standpoint, America has never been institutionally, socially nor morally decent to people that looked like me. However, there was a decency that prevailed among individuals; often regardless of race. It seemed we cared about how we were perceived by others and no matter our personal foibles desired to present an image of decency to ourselves, and the world at large. However superficial it may have been.

We have a President of the United States that has degenerated the office to a point of vulgarity that would have been unimaginable just a few years ago. He openly talked, as a married man, about "grabbing p*ssy". The masses responded with "p*ssy hats" and bought tiny little "p*ssy hats" to put on their adoring children. I can only imagine if I had said that word as a child, given that "funky" could send me to the death house. I suppose if I had said it combined with the word "cat" in one, legato syllable I might have avoided certain perdition.

We have a President of the United States that directs his acolytes to beat up people at rallies. A President of the United States whose political trademark is to insult others, be they political rivals or foreign heads of state. A President of the United States that infers there are some "very fine" Nazis and white supremacists. A President that has welcomed a man to the oval office that states, while in that hallowed place, "I'm a crazy motherf*cker" and the President applauds him and says "he gets it". Yeah, but I don't.

There goes the neighborhood.

Donald Trump is a reflection of this society, he is not the catalyst for it. We have become a nation of the indecent at every level and in every aspect. No one is unscathed. I look at young, black men (mostly) with their underpants showing ("saggin", it is called) and I see a lack of decency. I look at news programs on the various networks and it is a shouting match; let's see who can interrupt the other the most. Political ads are not about who has better ideas and approaches, but about humiliating the other side.

Donald Trump is the equivalent of political "saggin", and he is absolutely the same, in terms of indecency and ignorance quotient, as those who do so literally. Be bold and reverse the letters in "saggin" for I did not write this to make any of us feel good. We have no right to feel good.

Aside from mass assassination attempts, mail bombs, synagogue slaughter and the omnipresent murder of blacks domestically, journalist Jamal Khashoggi was kidnapped, tortured and murdered recently. How many people has the United States tortured in its endless wars on whatever is the flavor of the day? Our indecency has neutralized any moral authority we might seek to exert across the globe. The events of the past week in the United States are beyond astounding, yet they are things that I knew would happen. I now fear that the society has become so fascinated by the burlesque that we are not truly cogitating the down range effects of our sickness; especially internationally.

Our society is very, very sick. We can keep fooling ourselves that "we are better than this", but that ain't what's showing up on the ground. And the root of our sickness, is indecency. Not even racism can exist when people are decent. We need to acknowledge our illness and consult with our physicians, so that we might embark upon a treatment regimen that will allow us to reclaim decency and, thusly, become whole. Just as one seeks treatment for ADD, ADHD, RLD, ED, and COPD we must treat our LOAD or we will continue to carry it. Untreated, it will break our backs; for it is the Loss of American Decency.

Must Read 4   Well Said 3   Supported 2

Rohn Kenyatta is a single parent residing in Southern California. Born in San Diego, "Kenyatta" grew up in the "rollin 60's" area of Los Angeles and graduated from high school at age 15. Subsequent to attending college, Kenyatta attended Rio (more...)

Share on Google Plus Submit to Twitter Add this Page to Facebook! Share on LinkedIn Pin It! Add this Page to Fark! Submit to Reddit Submit to Stumble Upon Share Author on Social Media   Go To Commenting

The Black Death: Black Deaths Matter?

The U.S. Carries the LOAD

Comments Image Post Article Comment

These discussions are not moderated. We rely on users to police themselves, and flag inappropriate comments and behavior. In accordance with our Guidelines and Policies, we reserve the right to remove any post at any time for any reason, and will restrict access of registered users who repeatedly violate our terms.

• OpEdNews welcomes lively, CIVIL discourse. Personal attacks and/or hate speech are not tolerated and may result in banning.
  • Comments should relate to the content above. Irrelevant, off-topic comments are a distraction, and will be removed.
  • By submitting this comment, you agree to all OpEdNews rules, guidelines and policies.
Connect with Facebook     Connect with Twitter            Register with Facebook     Register with Twitter

Comment:

You can enter 2000 characters. To remove limit, please click here.

Please login or register. Afterwards, your comment will be published.

Username
Password

Forgot your password? Click here and we will send an email to the address you used when you registered.
First Name
Last Name

I am at least 16 years of age
(make sure username & password are filled in. Note that username must be an email address.)

8 people are discussing this page, with 16 comments  Post Comment

Rohn Kenyatta

(Member since Nov 1, 2018), 2 articles, 2 comments

I think we had better do some serious soul searching in the United States and be very concerned with the image we are portraying globally.

Submitted on Friday, Nov 2, 2018 at 1:21:12 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

Gene Engene

(Member since Dec 14, 2009), 81 comments

Indeed. I note that the words 'decency', 'decent', and 'decently' have all but disappeared from the arena of public rhetoric, and have been ever more scarce since the advent of Nixon, Reagan, and especially Bush II, who said, during the 2000 campaign that he 'want[ed] to be a war-time President'. The personal behavior of many a 'public' figure, candidates for, and in office, from Gary Hart on, has shown a decline that might well have been predicted. The media no longer turned a discreet eye, and ear, to what was generally known, but was tacitly ignored. There was a shift in the focus of certain media outlets, that has led to so-called 'Reality TV' that has made clearly inept, and awfully indiscreet people into 'media stars' - in re: the current occupant of the Oval Office, who has no notion of how to be decent, and will say absolutely anything that gets a laugh, or boisterous outburst from a crowd - ANY crowd.

I've heard it said it's just a sign that people are shaking off the shackles of repression/oppression. There may be some of that, and it usually has gone too far, at first. But, eventually, a shred of common sense prevails, asserts how much damage we do to ourselves, our cause, our cult, and our own credibility every time we throw out some supposedly brilliant verbal assault that is just a restatement that has no basis in fact, and that has already been overused.

It has become clear, too, that no small amount of it is due to the decline in educational quality, that has been going on for a very long time - well before WWII. Too many adults now no longer read, or read well, at all. And that, as Jefferson, Madison, Franklin and Sam Adams, and others well knew, is essential to the functioning of democracy, and - decency as well.

Submitted on Friday, Nov 2, 2018 at 7:52:44 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Rohn Kenyatta

(Member since Nov 1, 2018), 2 articles, 2 comments

Reply to Gene Engene:   New Content

I agree Gene; especially with respect to your astute observation regarding education. The connection between ignorance and indecency is irrefutable. Thank you for the great input!

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 4, 2018 at 1:58:33 PM

George W.Reichel

(Member since Apr 1, 2013), 5 fans, 1117 comments

Kinda sad too that Murrkans are more upset about the House of Saud killing a MSM journalist than they are about the Saudis' genocidal war on Yemen or the brutal treatment of native Palestinians by Israel.

Submitted on Saturday, Nov 3, 2018 at 1:16:33 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

Rohn Kenyatta

(Member since Nov 1, 2018), 2 articles, 2 comments

Reply to George W.Reichel:   New Content

It almost seems as though you are inferring racism, George. Or, maybe that's just me. Thanks for the comment!

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 4, 2018 at 2:02:07 PM

Leslie Johnson

(Member since Dec 9, 2014), 17 fans, 12 articles, 1 quicklinks, 1005 comments

I applaud your analysis, Rohn, realizing it's often easy diagnosing a disease, while curing it in many instances remains a crap shoot.

Submitted on Saturday, Nov 3, 2018 at 2:11:36 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

Rohn Kenyatta

(Member since Nov 1, 2018), 2 articles, 2 comments

Reply to Leslie Johnson:   New Content

True, Leslie. However, at this point the issue may be moot. Patient prognosis is dire and the sickness of indecency, disrespect and immorality may have metastasized to the point of rendering the patient terminal. Pardon me for stretching the metaphor a bit.

Like it or not Donald Trump is the face of the country, and from what I can glean he is an accurate representation. He is greedy, lazy, grossly overweight, rude, craven, ill-read, ill-spoken, sexist and racist. Yep, he is an accurate reflection of what this society should see when it looks in the proverbial mirror.

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 4, 2018 at 2:13:23 PM

Dana Bruce Thibault

(Member since Sep 2, 2017), 2 fans, 6 articles, 42 comments

You touched on a root cause that deserves expansion. TV quickly became dominated by the commercial drive for more viewers, and the sad discovery of ad science was the more controversial, the more challenging, the more rule-breaking, the more trash, the greater the views, resulting in a race to the bottom with Jerry Springer like shows, the rise of violent, profane gangsta rap, and the replacement of thoughtful honest journalism with enemy-of-the-people Rupert Murdoch's attack-and-bully fake news casting.

Now show biz can't find the more outrageous, the more offensive, the more indecent fast enough.

Submitted on Saturday, Nov 3, 2018 at 3:43:19 PM

Rohn Kenyatta

(Member since Nov 1, 2018), 2 articles, 2 comments

Reply to Dana Bruce Thibault:   New Content

Your last sentence says it all. interestingly enough, I plan to wade through the whole "rap" music thing sometimes in the near future. There are some very intriguing aspects to how Black People in America deal with the issue. Thanks for the comment!

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 4, 2018 at 2:18:17 PM

Kenneth Lee

(Member since Jul 8, 2007), 3 fans, 4 articles, 162 comments

I agree with your article, except possibly the reliance on physicians. These problems are internal and the mind needs to be re-aligned to achieve a better state of being, but I hate to think that prescribed drugs are an answer.On a side note, I really enjoyed reading your bio! It brought back many of the great memories I have of growing up in southeast L.A. in the 60's, also. I listened to all the great local jazz and blues radio stations, and the parody ads for imaginary businesses like "Victor's House of Barbequed Bats" were really fun. My absolute favorite dj was Rick Holmes. Every New Year's Eve he would have only the best music from that year in a 4-hour special program from, I think, 8pm to midnight. Man, that guy was good. I spent 2 to 4 nights a week at the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach and got to know Howard Rumsey pretty well. I followed him to Concerts by the Sea, but the venue just lost too much intimacy for me. What a great guy, though. I was underage early on, but he always let me in (free) at the Lighthouse because he knew I was there for the fantastic musicians who frequently performed there. I was never taught to fear or hate other 'races'. so my time in LA was pretty much free of a lot of that baggage, although I did see enough of it there. Thankfully, a wide universe of music and food are the two great equalizers and I was always happy to partake of both in LA. Living now in AZ I miss both of them, and I can clearly see the prejudices that can arise when they are missing from the human experience.

Submitted on Saturday, Nov 3, 2018 at 5:01:44 PM

Rohn Kenyatta

(Member since Nov 1, 2018), 2 articles, 2 comments

Reply to Kenneth Lee:   New Content

That is great Kenneth! I was but a tot and I listened to Rick Holmes. What a mellow voice, I mean that cat was cool. I can hear him queuing up Stolen Moments in my mind right now. KBCA 105.5 baby!

Don't forget Shelly's Mann-hole!

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 4, 2018 at 2:38:14 PM

Eric Arnow

(Member since Jul 27, 2015), 6 fans, 505 comments

As Rev. Wright said before Obama threw him under the bus, America's chickens are coming home to roost. The nation's founding principle was Indecency, masked by Well Mannered White Skinned Gentlemen. But the mask has come off, that is the difference.

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 4, 2018 at 12:47:38 AM

Rohn Kenyatta

(Member since Nov 1, 2018), 2 articles, 2 comments

Reply to Eric Arnow:   New Content

We could have a long discussion about Obama and his corporate cowardice. As far as reverend Wright goes...he was Wright.

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 4, 2018 at 2:49:21 PM

Dennis Kaiser

(Member since Jan 22, 2008), 34 fans, 69 articles, 297 quicklinks, 5020 comments, 48 diaries

IMHO this depravity within our society has been planned (See #6) #12 plays a major part in bringing this about as do the Presstitute Media Propagandists. It also plays a huge part in demoralizing the populace.

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 4, 2018 at 12:22:24 PM

Rohn Kenyatta

(Member since Nov 1, 2018), 2 articles, 2 comments

Just so you know Kenneth, I was speaking metaphorically and somewhat philosophically about "physicians". In the context to which I refer, I mean we need spiritual and intellectual guidance and introspection.

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 4, 2018 at 2:53:09 PM

Kenneth Lee

(Member since Jul 8, 2007), 3 fans, 4 articles, 162 comments

Reply to Rohn Kenyatta:   New Content

I agree wholeheartedly, Rohn. I think that if people in this country could ever learn that we are not 'special' or 'exceptional' or whatever, that the rest of the world SHARES our common desire for good food, good music, a safe and peaceful place to live and the opportunity to experience the things our hearts dream of, then we could truly have a world at peace as well as a level of prosperity for all, not just the chosen 'elites'.

Only the 'brainwashed' believe that Muslims around the world wake up every day wanting to kill Americans. That is the message that we have been sent for many years by our so-called 'government' representatives. Muslim, Christian, Jew, Hindu, Catholic, Agnostic, Atheist...We all want essentially the same things out of life, and once we ALL learn that, the government can't manipulate us anymore into going to war with each other over our imagined differences . Of course we all have some cultural differences, but learning and exploring those is one of the joys of this world.

By the way, I got to chat with Rick Holmes a few times when we were both hangin' at the Lighthouse, and he was just as cool in person as on the radio. (If you ever want to sit down and swap stories, I'm in So. Cal. once or twice a year)

Submitted on Sunday, Nov 4, 2018 at 11:56:28 PM