Thanksgiving Hypocrisy - by Stephen Lendman
Thanksgiving should be for atonement and activism for change, not overindulgence.
On November 25, 2009, a New York Times editorial headlined, "A Thanksgiving Toast," saying:
"Sitting down with friends and family today, there will be thanks for the steady currents, flowing out of the past, that have brought us to this table....And there will be prayerful thanks for the future."
At a time when federal, state and local authorities increasingly turn a blind eye to growing poverty, unemployment, homelessness, hunger and despair, Times editors gave thanks for their blessings others lack.
They also ignored multiple imperial wars slaughtering millions, and draining trillions of dollars needed for vital homeland needs.
What else to expect from America's leading establishment broadsheet, serving wealth and power, not popular interests.
Its current Thanksgiving topics include:
- holiday football matchups;
- "Thanksgiving Thrift: The Holiday as a Model for Sustainable Cooking;"
- "Vegetarian Thanksgiving: Tipsy Vegan Recipes;"
- "A Radical Rethinking of Thanksgiving Leftovers;"
- "Thanksgiving and Wine in the Willamette Valley;" and
- other food and dining out topics.
Nothing substantive was discussed, including holiday myths, traditions, duress most people face, corporate crime, government culpability, and America's out-of-control militarism and imperial wars.