Poll Analyses
Share on Facebook 18 Share on Twitter 2 Printer Friendly Page More Sharing
OpEdNews Op Eds    H1'ed 3/6/20

So What's Wrong With The Present- Day Social Justice Warriors?

Follow Me on Twitter     Message Robert De Filippis

Demilitarize the Police, Black Lives Matter
Demilitarize the Police, Black Lives Matter
(Image by Johnny Silvercloud)
  Details   DMCA

I've been having a difficult time putting words to my irritation with the young Social Justice Warriors who hound the social media outlets today. Not the least of my difficulties comes from the fact that I agree with their goals, a more egalitarian society with equal access to opportunities.

They seem to be "woke" to so many social injustices and fail to see they are privileged to be living on the corpse of the dead culture they want to change.

They who manage to free themselves from the blinding grip of ideological possession long enough to have an independent thought will recognize that the culture they abhor gave them birth, the sustenance, and the education, i.e., the means to change it.

They were not born "woke." They arrived here from some starting place. Some further back from others. Some darker than others. Some almost inescapable. But all from some starting place that nurtured them even though the people there knew their time was up and a better society was in order.

The older folks may not have known it consciously, but they knew it in their DNA. Because this is the history of humanity. At any given moment existing cultures are dead. They are the past telling the present not to change a thing. But the young always respond by saying, "uh uh, we can make it better." And thank goodness they do!

I know the young rarely learn from an older person's experiences and that's what keeps us going forward. Thank goodness again. But the failure to acknowledge the good with the bad of the past is tantamount to committing the same errors.

It may come as a surprise, but the existing (read "old dead culture") was new once upon a time. And the SJW's of the past spent as much energy and effort to change the old into the new as the new SJW's are doing today.

You see, it's in the best interests of the new SJW's to honor the spirit of the dead corpse they live on, even if they're repulsed by its apparent ignorance. Because what may appear as ignorance today, was the spirit that sustained those old SJW's to make the changes that allow the young to exercise their commitment to change today.

Next Page  1  |  2

Must Read 1   Well Said 1   Valuable 1
Rate It | View Ratings

Robert De Filippis Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Author, columnist, and blogger with a long career in business management, management consulting and executive coaching. I've authored and published seven books: "You, Your Self and the 21st Century,"The Flowers Are Talking to Me," and "Faith (more...)

Illinois Is Now on Board. We Can Carry Concealed Weapons in Every State.

Don't be Fooled: Black Racism Causes White Racism

The Primary American Meme: Be Afraid.

What Jesus said and What the Christian Lunatic Fringe Hears.

This Pope Makes Me Want to be an Atheist

Ethan Couch: An Example of the Pathology of Wealth

Comments

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 13 fans, 2180 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Robert, it probably wasn't your intention, but your essay tickled me. Some kid musta gotten under your skin recently; I caught a bit of curmudgeon in your words. And hey! That's no criticism; I relate.

I am probably older than you are. I adore my granddaughter and admire her mind and her talents. But her arrogant, argumentative attitude bugs the crap out of me, as does the attitude of a lot of young people these days. Rude might be a good blanket adjective. (And the tattoos!)

And then I look back in time. "Hey, Mr. Businessman. Stop and smell the roses." I was going Back to the Earth. Standing on anti war principles, I married young (and brainless) to keep my boyfriend from the draft. I'm still anti-war; some things don't change.

My Dad was a barber, and Oh, the arguments (fights) with my younger brother, as Beatlemania and Long Hair became the anti-establishment emblem.

The point is that it took many years of real life before I realized that I had been (and still am) standing on the shoulders of loving, generous and ever-principled giants. I miss them dearly.

I don't know if humanity is on a somewhat linear trajectory or if we are simply running eternally in circles. I read once that Socrates fretted over the state of the youth in his day. I hope I get to find some answers one day. In the meantime, I can just enjoy imagining the day that all these taut and artful tattoos morph into oddities and fall into the wrinkles. :)

Submitted on Saturday, Mar 7, 2020 at 1:50:18 AM

Recommend  (3+)

Nels Wight

(Member since Sep 3, 2006), 3 fans, 1037 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Not paid member and Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

Janet, it's so loving and heartening to read your comments. It makes me enjoy being 91

this Feb 21 past. May your love and your maundering continue (forever)! Grazi multo,

Submitted on Saturday, Mar 7, 2020 at 2:19:25 AM

Recommend  (4+)

Robert De Filippis

(Member since Feb 27, 2013), 30 fans, 213 articles, 4 quicklinks, 587 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

Reply to Nels Wight:   New Content

Thank you for responding to Janet's comments. I hope that means you read the article and if you did, thank you for that too.

Submitted on Saturday, Mar 7, 2020 at 4:42:18 AM

Recommend  (2+)

Robert De Filippis

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

Thank you for gracing my comments with yours. Sometimes we have the right to be curmudgeonl.

Submitted on Saturday, Mar 7, 2020 at 4:40:24 AM

Recommend  (3+)

Janet Supriano

Reply to Robert De Filippis:   New Content

Be it and enjoy it! I'm with you and I hope it came across in my comment.

Submitted on Saturday, Mar 7, 2020 at 5:05:20 AM

Recommend  (1+)
IndentIndentIndent

Robert De Filippis

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

Love ya!

Submitted on Saturday, Mar 7, 2020 at 5:16:03 AM

Recommend  (1+)

David Wieland

(Member since Jan 1, 2019), 1 fan, 261 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

"I know the young rarely learn from an older person's experiences and that's what keeps us going forward."

I'm not sure what you're basing that observation on. Apart from the fact that we all learn something from our childhood guardians (parents or other adults), almost every basic skill is learned from another, usually older, person. That provides the platform from which we can (but don't necessarily) reach and develop further.

I'm pretty sure that most of the mistakes I've made were against the advice of one or more older people. I still managed to go forward, but it wasn't because I ignored the advice. :-) Learning from others mistakes is a time-honoured way to reduce the number we make ourselves, isn't it? It should also make us less insufferable, which I agree is a more noticeable characteristic of activists in recent years.

Submitted on Sunday, Mar 8, 2020 at 5:59:51 AM

Recommend  (0+)

Robert De Filippis

Reply to David Wieland:   New Content

Thanks for your response. My reference to not learning is contained in your statement and I quote you, "'I'm pretty sure that most of the mistakes I've made were against the advice of one or more older people."

Submitted on Sunday, Mar 8, 2020 at 11:29:20 AM

Recommend  (0+)

David Wieland

Reply to Robert De Filippis:   New Content

I thought the "keeps us going forward" bit implied that progress requires not learning from older people's experience.

Submitted on Sunday, Mar 8, 2020 at 8:20:01 PM

Recommend  (0+)
IndentIndentIndent

Robert De Filippis

Reply to David Wieland:   New Content

To me it means knowing what other people have done, ignoring it and doing something different. Then after action and reflection saying, "ok, they told me this wouldn't work and I did it anyway. My bad." This has been true in my life and I've seen it in my grown children and, even now, my grand children.

Submitted on Monday, Mar 9, 2020 at 12:51:16 PM