There really are some conspiracy theories that are based on facts. But there are also millions of gullible people who will see conspiracy theories everywhere they turn, especially if those theories reinforce their pre-existing beliefs. And if that comment offends you, maybe you are part of the problem.
note: I apologize for calling people who see conspiracy theories everywhere idiots. Gullible, yes. But not necessarily idiots. And I was specifically think of the people described in the next paragraph.
What set me off on this rant is I read about some Republican party county leaders in Texas who were told by state Republican leaders to resign because of the idiotic conspiracy theories they'd shared. The conspiracy theories about George Floyd's murder and the Black Lives Matter protests are swirling out of control. These include:
- George Floyd was not really killed. It was a false flag attack.
- George Soros is behind the protests-- and behind black lives matters and antifa
- Actually even the claim about Antifa being involved seems to be a conspiracy theory.
- The protests are riots and they are not about Black Lives Matter or police violence. They are chaos and destruction aimed at destroying the USA
- The US is collapsing and the riots are proof of it. This is garbage. The protests-- the peaceful protests are the best thing that's happened to the US since Occupy Wall Street.
Here are some tweets to give you the flavor of these conspiracy theories.
and, if you like details-- conspiracy theorists are usually sucked in by bogus details--
RT @sxdoc: George Floyd False Flag? Questions 2) https://t.co/g9LaUeVTWa at https://t.co/g9LaUeVTWa— Likewhodini⭐️⭐️⭐️ (@likewhodini) June 7, 2020
And let's look at the Soros connection-- something an incredible number of right wingers-- probably a majority believe about, well almost anything. If a right winger brings up Soros, I stop the conversation and try to hold back from calling him (in my case, it's always a guy) an idiot.
and, for you right wing conspiracy theorists, who LOVE video, here's a 47 minute to waste your time.
Mr. Deep State: George Soros & the George Floyd Analysis https://t.co/Y6WxdEbXO7 at https://t.co/Y6WxdEbXO7— JSosa17 2Q2Q (Text: Trump 88022) (@realJoeSosaJr) June 7, 2020
(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).