Poll Analyses
Share on Facebook 11 Share on Twitter Printer Friendly Page More Sharing
Life Arts    H2'ed 10/14/20

Poem: Should I wear a mask?

By       (Page 1 of 3 pages) (View How Many People Read This)   14 comments
Message Gary Lindorff

Voice 1: Display strength instead of weakness

Hide your fear

Voice 2: Appear to be in control

Voice 3: Wear a mask / Do not wear a mask

Confusion 1: I am wearing a mask

I am afraid

Confusion 2: I hide my mask

I am afraid to appear afraid

Confusion 3: My strength is a mask

Hiding my fear

Next Page  1  |  2  |  3

(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).

Rate It | View Ratings

Gary Lindorff Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Gary Lindorff is a poet, writer, blogger  and author of several books, the latest: 13 Seeds: Health, Karma and Initiation. Over the last few years he has begun calling himself an activist poet, channeling his activism through poetic (more...)

We must be more than prophets -- a prose poem

Truth was everywhere

And there goes the neighborhood

Your conscience

Poet's Notebook: My poem, "What do I do about the mice: A pacifist's quandary" and comments

Total Recall

Comments

Robert Gormley

(Member since Dec 12, 2009), 962 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Not paid member and Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Just goes to show you can rationalize anything.

That was your point I guess.

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 at 11:50:31 AM

Recommend  (1+)

David William Pear

(Member since Nov 29, 2014), 54 fans, 86 articles, 460 quicklinks, 4797 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook Page Twitter Page Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

It is all about creating fear, being afraid, authority, and obeying authority blindly.

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 at 12:59:19 PM

Recommend  (4+)

Gary Lindorff

(Member since Mar 21, 2013), 4 fans, 270 articles, 157 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Yes, but my point was also to unpack the question which is far from simple, and to acknowledge the voices and the confusions that swirl around the question, which is really an existential question.

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 at 1:26:23 PM

Recommend  (2+)

David William Pear

Reply to Gary Lindorff:   New Content

Yes, and it is a good point. Apart from the science, which is unsettled, it is a sole searching question. Personally I don't think that masks generally do much good or much harm healthwise. It is a strong symbol for the individual, society and politics. So what does the mask represent?

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 at 2:04:37 PM

Recommend  (0+)

David Wieland

(Member since Jan 1, 2019), 1 fan, 538 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

Reply to Gary Lindorff:   New Content

I'm puzzled. What do you mean by an existential question? I know that months ago public mask-wearing became a political and/or philosophical question (or in my region was simply mandated) and abandoned any scientific basis, but how is that an existential question?

Submitted on Thursday, Oct 15, 2020 at 5:15:32 AM

Recommend  (0+)

Mike Preston

(Member since Sep 9, 2020), 85 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

This is Amandha Vollmer/ Dr. Yum having her say on mask: tu.be/loGjNjYeaAs?t=2396

She has written a book on DMSO and has some good videos on DMSO. She has a 3:09 video, Spanish Flu Did Not Kill 50,000,000 Vaccines Did and They Are Repeating the Same Pattern Again Now. at .youtube.com/watch?v=a3wgNuatsJI

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 at 2:55:13 PM

Recommend  (1+)

Meryl Ann Butler

Become a Fan Follow Me on Twitter (Member since Jun 5, 2006), 82 fans, 702 articles, 2066 quicklinks, 6309 comments, 8 diaries (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

Gary, this is brilliant, thank you.

I personally don't think a mask does much regarding germs/virus, etc, although I have to agree that they must do something or the medical profession wouldn't always use them. And the recent political gatherings of unmasked people in close proximity seem to have resulted in an epidemic of covid cases, so that's something to consider.

But one thing I do know is true- wearing a mask in public represents, for me, my concern for others who are afraid of catching covid. I don't think it does so much physically to prevent it, however, I do understand that it can lower other people's stress level when they observe me wearing a mask, and lowering stress is a path to greater immune function. And of course the better our immunity, the less chance of catching any illness - which not only helps individuals, but all of "the herd." So my choice to wear a mask in public really does enhance other people's health, just not in the way most people would think.

I don't really feel pressured to wear a mask in public, I don't feel like it is an imposition on my freedom, it's a choice I make to help contribute to greater wellness. And living in a beach community, I am very used to signs on businesses that say "no shoes, no shirt, no service" so the choice of a business to add "no mask" to that seems perfectly natural to me.

It's too bad if others who do not wear a mask see me as infringing on their rights somehow if I do wear one. If they don't want to wear a mask, that's fine with me, don't wear one, and shop at the places that don't require one.

A friend wearing a mask recently was actually accosted by an outspoken and angry person when she entered a store, so rudely that she was concerned for her personal safety! Why do so many of the people who refuse to wear a mask-- saying we shouldn't succumb to fear -- feel like they should be allowed to carry a gun for their own protection?

Wearing a mask doesn't take away anyone's freedom, it's just a choice. Establishments are allowed to place guidelines on attire, people are free to follow the guidelines or are free to go elsewhere.

My wearing a mask certainly doesn't hurt anyone else, or infringe on their rights, and it does help some people feel better.

Honestly, the angry shouts of entitlement-filled Americans who feel that their freedom is taken away because they are requested to wear a mask seems filled with elite exceptionalism when traumatized people are dying in refugee camps.

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 at 4:16:26 PM

Recommend  (2+)

Blair Gelbond

(Member since Sep 8, 2011), 5 fans, 29 articles, 659 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

Reply to Meryl Ann Butler:   New Content

Meryl Ann,

There is so much that is unknown. Fauci went from emphasizing to de-emphasizing the utility of masks. (I war one). Much is strongly disputed about both the origin of the virus and validity of the data. And whether there is a larger, more mendacious agenda at work (see Globalresearch.ca).

But from my point of view, what is indisputable is the power of love.

"If any of you are around when I have to meet my day, I don't want a long funeral. And if you get somebody to deliver the eulogy, tell them not to talk too long. (Yes) And every now and then I wonder what I want them to say. Tell them not to mention that I have a Nobel Peace Prize that isn't important. Tell them not to mention that I have three or four hundred other awards that's not important. Tell them not to mention where I went to school. (Yes)

I'd like somebody to mention that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to give his life serving others. (Yes)

I'd like for somebody to say that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to love somebody.

I want you to say that day that I tried to be right on the war question. (Amen)

I want you to be able to say that day that I did try to feed the hungry. (Yes)

And I want you to be able to say that day that I did try in my life to clothe those who were naked. (Yes)

I want you to say on that day that I did try in my life to visit those who were in prison. (Lord)

I want you to say that I tried to love and serve humanity. (Yes)

Yes, if you want to say that I was a drum major, say that I was a drum major for justice. (Amen) Say that I was a drum major for peace. (Yes) I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matter. (Yes) I won't have any money to leave behind. I won't have the fine and luxurious things of life to leave behind. But I just want to leave a committed life behind. (Amen) And that's all I want to say.

...I just want to be there in love and in justice and in truth and in commitment to others, so that we can make of this old world a new world."

-- Martin Luther King Jr.

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 at 6:05:31 PM

Recommend  (0+)

Chuck Nafziger

(Member since Oct 12, 2008), 18 fans, 8 articles, 17 quicklinks, 2660 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

Reply to Meryl Ann Butler:   New Content

Please turn off your TV.

Understand that masks are forced compliance. I have a hard time buying organic food because my choice to be healthy and maskless gets me tossed out of places that have good food. I can get garbage GMO laden calories without a mask. Even those sources of calories may be removed if this madness is not stopped.

Masks in surgical uses are 1. clean, 2. uncontaminated by repeated, repeated, repeated touching, pushing, nose blowing, with associated panting and germ breeding moisture. Ten minutes of Observation in a grocery store makes this obvious and shows that masks in public stores are ridiculous!

My ex-friends who are the most adamant about masks seem to have in common an arrogant, self-righteous cowardice. They somehow find a balance between the danger of a fairly normal cold and the collapse of our economy with its exploding homelessness and poverty.

Masks are for compliance. Once TVs are removed, masks are easily seen to be harmful to mental and physical health. They are destroying community. They are a first step stripping our humanity as we are being convinced to make and live in our own CAFOs. This crap isn't going away unless we stop it.

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 at 6:27:55 PM

Recommend  (2+)

Robert Gormley

Reply to Chuck Nafziger:   New Content

It's too bad your losing friends over the mask debate, but I'm not surprised about that.

You seem to be overly agitated over this mask issue. Is it worth losing friends over?

I wear a mask and don't see any bad mental/physical effects from it.

Remember your immune system may be able to combat this "cold", but others may not be

able to.

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 at 8:29:57 PM

Recommend  (0+)
IndentIndentIndent

Chuck Nafziger

Reply to Robert Gormley:   New Content

We were hit by the same magnitude propaganda blitz with the Weapons of Mass Destruction. Did you fall for that one? Do you still believe they had them? This propaganda blitz is far more clever! The WMDs allowed our oligarchs to murder a million or so brown people on the other side of the planet for oil, so who cared? We are the target this time. The health of people in this country, bad as it was, is much worse because of the masks and lockdown. Your immune system cannot stay healthy under those conditions. We did not evolve in sterile conditions and they are not good for us. The people who died in Sweden were mostly bed ridden in nursing homes. The average age of the victims was in the 80s, higher than the average lifetime in this country. If you are not bed ridden, you will most likely recover, especially if your state does not outlaw perfectly good medicines. This is crazy.

I have used masks in ship repair for various smokes and dusts. There are residual smells so even with rubber, multiple strap masks using big filter cartridges, I knew a bit was getting through. I was denied jobs at the big yards because I would not shave my beard, another compliance thing more than a mask fit thing. I know what good masks can do. Thinking anything as small as a virus cares anything about a rag over your face is a sorry joke. It is like throwing sand through chicken wire/

Those ex-friends are working for those who want to control and oppress us, and us unfortunately includes me. I don't need friends like that. The economic collapse has just peeked its nose around the corner. We live in interesting times and I am glad I am old.

Submitted on Thursday, Oct 15, 2020 at 12:57:35 AM

Recommend  (0+)
IndentIndentIndentIndent

Robert Gormley

Reply to Chuck Nafziger:   New Content

Well..... you sound like you know what you are talking about.

If you are correct than 99.9% of the population has been duped.

That's real hard for me to believe.

Submitted on Thursday, Oct 15, 2020 at 1:12:28 AM

Recommend  (0+)
IndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

David Wieland

Reply to Robert Gormley:   New Content

Your percentage figure is too high, but most people are accustomed (trained?) to accept what they're told by claimed experts. On the surface, that's not remarkable at all, as most of us don't have time, or enough interest, to research even the most questionable claims. What I do find remarkable is how many people are able to automatically rationalize or not even notice the turns, contradictions and reversals of those experts.

Submitted on Thursday, Oct 15, 2020 at 5:34:56 AM

Recommend  (0+)

Alexander Kershaw

(Member since Nov 25, 2014), 3 fans, 440 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

Reply to Meryl Ann Butler:   New Content

Masks are used in surgery to protect the patient from bacteria. They do nothing for viruses. The holes in N95 masks are 2-6 times larger than Covid-19. It is like putting birdnetting on windows to keep out mosquitoes. When the moisture from a droplet evaporates the virus remains and becomes aerosolized and can travel on the air currents. Without airplanes Covid-19 would make it around the world in 2-6 weeks. Dr Zach Bush explains much in any # of interviews.

The economic collapse is the agenda of the .00001%, billionaire class. They can digitally create almost infinite amounts in their private banks. The Fed is private. True wealth lies in land, labor and resources. With the 99% and their states impoverished and in debt much true wealth becomes available. The reason little was given to the states is so they will be forced to sell and privatize to replace lost revenue. The 99% will be more desparate and meekly work to survive. UNLESS they wake up. The .00001%'s greatest nightmare.

I could go on but when I tried to increase my membership, I could not avoid PayPal. I refuse to support Elon We can coup anywhere Musk.

Submitted on Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 at 6:51:13 PM