Missiles fired by opposing sides in the Nagorno-Karabakh war hit a district in Iran's East Azerbaijan province, south of the Azerbaijan-Armenia border, Anadolu News agency quoting the Iranian state media as saying Thursday.
Ten missiles landed in two villages in the Khudaferin district, injuring a civilian when rockets hit a house, IRNA News Agency quoted the district's Governor Ali Emiri Rad.
Iran warned Armenia and Azerbaijan following the incident. "The security of our citizens living in border regions is the red line of our armed forces," Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said in a statement. He said next time, Iran would not remain indifferent.
According to IRNA, since the beginning of the Karabakh war two weeks ago, more than 50 mortar shells have landed in the border areas of East Azerbaijan in the city of Khoda-Afarin.
Earlier on Tuesday, a drone crashed in border county of Parsabad-Moghan in northwestern Iranian province of Ardebil. Investigations are underway to determine whether it is Azeri or Armenian, Nedaei said. He noted that the crash caused no damage.
Top Turkish, US officials discuss Nagorno-Karabakh fighting
Turkey's presidential spokesman and US national security adviser on Tuesday discussed over the phone bilateral ties, Armenian attacks on Azerbaijan, and developments in the Eastern Mediterranean, the Turkish daily Yeni Safak reported.
According to a statement by the presidential office, Ibrahim Kalin told Robert O'Brien that while supporting the cease-fire between Azerbaijan and Armenia declared on humanitarian grounds, a permanent solution can only be achieved through Armenia's withdrawal from the occupied Azerbaijani territory of Upper Karabakh and its surroundings.
Armenia's attacks against civilians violate the international law, and they are not acceptable, Kalin stressed in the phone talk, according to the statement.
He also noted that the international community should take concrete steps to ensure the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan under the decisions of the UN Security Council and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe.
Nagorno-Karabakh has seen heavy fighting since September 27, which has claimed the lives of 600 people, including civilians. The region is considered by the United Nations and international law to be part of Azerbaijan which claims liberating more than 30 villages from Armenian occupation.
US again calls for Armenia, Azerbaijan to end hostilities
The United States on Wednesday once again urged Armenia and Azerbaijan to immediately halt hostilities, calling for a cease-fire.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Washington is committed "to helping Azerbaijan and Armenia achieve a peaceful and sustainable settlement to their conflict."
"We've asked every international player to stay out of the region, not to continue to reinforce trouble, and we're working to deliver that," he told reporters at the State Department. "We're using our diplomatic toolkit to try and achieve an outcome that gets a stand down, a cease-fire and an outcome that is a solution based on international law."
Pompeo called on Yerevan and Baku "to implement their agreed-upon commitments to a cease-fire and stop targeting civilian areas."
(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).