Share on Facebook 7 Share on Twitter 1 Printer Friendly Page More Sharing
OpEdNews Op Eds    H4'ed 4/16/19

My confrontation with a Republican praising Trump 'dumping' asylum seekers on sanctuary cities.

By       (Page 1 of 1 pages)     (# of views)   15 comments
Follow Me on Twitter     Message Egberto Willies

(Image by Egberto Willies)   Details   DMCA

I go to the gym several times a week. I usually stay in my zone blasting KPFT 90.1 FM's morning shows, The Attitude with Arnie Arnesen, The Thom Hartmann Program, and Democracy Now with Amy Goodman. Usually, I do not hear any of the surrounding conversations.
I confronted Republican man disparaging immigrants

Thom Hartmann was talking to several callers who complained about the effectiveness of the Right Wing media converting their friends and families into paranoid Right Wingers they did not recognize. My Bluetooth earbuds died as Democracy Now! was starting. As I did some butterflies, I overheard a Right Wing Republican man speaking to a receptive man.

"I love what Trump is doing," the Republican said. "Send them all to those cities. They are sanctuaries anyway. Let them deal with them."

My blood started to boil. The Republican kept on escalating the rhetoric as he demeaned these immigrants, these asylum seekers. I could take it no more.

I walked up to the man and looked him sternly in the eyes. It seemed to shock him initially.

"Do you know how inhumane you sound?" I asked.

After stuttering for a while, he gave me the standard cop-out answer.

"I don't have any problem with these people," he said. "But we must first change the law. We must have laws, not open borders."

I told him that humaneness superseded laws. When people are in dire straits, we must act humanely first and adjust rules later.

He touched on crime, and I reminded him of several important logical conclusions that Fox News taught their viewers to ignore.

• The majority of undocumented immigrants want to do nothing to attract any attention that could get them deported. As such, they commit less crime and do not vote.
  • While the European settlers came here, killed those who helped them survive initially, conquered the land (read stole the property), and enslaved an entire race to create a fast-growing economy, the asylum seekers only want a life of peace and a job. Shouldn't the need for atonement demand more from us?
  • People like him who profess higher morals should consult the Bible and the words of Jesus Christ and ask if his behavior would mimic their own.

During the entire conversation I was firm but not rude nor did I raise my voice. My approach elicited a similar behavior from the Republican. It was clear that no one has never confronted him in the manner that I did. I created an environment where he deservedly was on the defensive. But most importantly I did not allow an escalation into a shouting match. While he spoke, I listened intently, and in this case, I did not have to ask him to reciprocate the behavior. In other confrontations, I have had to ask for the same respect in listening that I afforded.

Look, I am sure I did not change this Republican's basal way of being. But I do know I planted seeds that any thinking human being however ideologically compromised will have cemented in their brains whether they acknowledge it or not.

After going back and forth for about twenty minutes we shook hands, he thanked me. I wondered if he realized he did that. Anyway, I did not react. I gave him a back slap, we smiled and then I took off.

These are perilous times. The Right is always ready to confront and bully. We must do the same for the soul of this country. Most people are good but ideologically empty and rudderless. Whoever is more effective in filling that vacuum wins. Progressives, we are the ones with the verifiable truth. We must fill the voids. But more importantly, for voids filled with poison, we must blow it out of there.

HELP: Please subscribe to my YouTube channel so I can get the numbers up to open up some more features and reach more folks. Gracias!

Must Read 1   Valuable 1
Rate It | View Ratings

Egberto Willies Social Media Pages: Facebook Page       Twitter Page       Linked In Page       Instagram Page

Egberto WilliesEgberto Willies is a political activist, author, political blogger, radio show host, business owner, software developer, web designer, and mechanical engineer in Kingwood, TX. Egberto is an ardent Liberal that believes tolerance is essential. His favorite phrase is "political involvement should be a requirement for citizenship". He believes that we must get away from the current policies that reward those who simply move money/capital and produce nothing tangible for our society. If a change in policy does not occur, America will be no different than many oligarchic societies where a few are able to accumulate wealth while (more...)

Follow Me on Twitter     Writers Guidelines

Trump Effect: TV Producer to neighbor 'Your son is dating a f*cking n**ger'

What happens when Trump supporters realize they've been had?

This is how one responds to Right Wing Hacks in Real Time - Good job Don Lemon

Black & brown people joining 2nd Amendment Movement may save America

Trump Effect: New Kingwood, TX business model: Lawn Care by 'White People' U.S. Citizens (VIDEO)

O'Donnell turns Trump stunt into GOP excoriation & Democratic narrative win (VIDEO)

Comments Image Post Article Comment and Rate This Article

These discussions are not moderated. We rely on users to police themselves, and flag inappropriate comments and behavior. In accordance with our Guidelines and Policies, we reserve the right to remove any post at any time for any reason, and will restrict access of registered users who repeatedly violate our terms.

• OpEdNews welcomes lively, CIVIL discourse. Personal attacks and/or hate speech are not tolerated and may result in banning.
  • Comments should relate to the content above. Irrelevant, off-topic comments are a distraction, and will be removed.
  • By submitting this comment, you agree to all OpEdNews rules, guidelines and policies.

Comment Here:

You can enter 2000 characters. To remove limit, please click here.
Please login or register. Afterwards, your comment will be published.

Username
Password

Forgot your password? Click here and we will send an email to the address you used when you registered.
First Name
Last Name

I am at least 16 years of age
(make sure username & password are filled in. Note that username must be an email address.)

4 people are discussing this page, with 15 comments  Post Comment

don curry

(Member since Apr 8, 2010), 1 fan, 709 comments
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

I think he thanked you because you didn't hit him in the head with a bike lock, or throw a glass of soda in his face, or chase him out of a restaurant where he was trying to eat with his family, or key his car for having a Trump sticker on it, or put on a play in Central Park in which Trump was symbolically assassinated, or snatch his hat off his head, or tear gas him while he was talking to a reporter. That is what probably prevented him from being "always ready to confront and bully."

Lucky for you he was only a two dimensional representation of your ill-founded prejudices. Luckily no one substantial was listening in to your twinkly-eyed slap fight.

Submitted on Wednesday, Apr 17, 2019 at 1:48:25 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

Egberto Willies

(Member since Nov 18, 2015), 18 fans, 168 articles, 52 comments, 18 diaries
Facebook Page Twitter Page Linked In Page Instagram Page

Reply to don curry:   New Content

Ill-founded prejudices? What would those be?

Submitted on Wednesday, Apr 17, 2019 at 4:35:02 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

don curry

(Member since Apr 8, 2010), 1 fan, 709 comments

Reply to Egberto Willies:   New Content

The first examples of your ill-founded prejudices were laid out in my comment. You described the right as, "always ready to confront and bully." You claimed to identify a characteristic of confronting and bullying as unique to the right. The string of events I supplied were instances where the left pounded, insulted and threatened bystanders for their political belief. I am hard pressed to recall instances where the regular common people from the right similarly treated people on the left. (of course, other than Jussie)

In rhetoric the 3 main categories of persuasion are: Logos (argument from reason); Ethos (argument from morals); Pathos (argument from emotion). Pathos is the least dependable persuader, yet it is the most persuasive.

Your question," Do you know how inhumane you sound?" is classic pathos. His position might be logical and moral, and, in its total effect, humane. However, your first comment is that you think he needs to address how you feel about what he said.

Your first bullet point is your claim that it's logical that people who broke the law to get here and are disobeying the law by being here, are less likely to break the law.

The Center for Immigration Studies reports:

.org/Huennekens/DOJ-26-Federal-Prisoners-Are-Aliens

"The Bureau of Prisons is responsible for the custody and care of federal inmates. As of December 2017, BOP has custody of 38,132 known or suspected aliens. This represents approximately 21 percent of the total BOP population meaning that one in five BOP inmates is an alien.

Of the 38,132 known or suspected aliens, approximately 66 percent were unlawfully present in the United States.

Some analysts charge that the reason there are so many aliens in federal custody is that they are there for primarily immigration-related offenses. This is certainly true, as about 29 percent of aliens in BOP custody have committed immigration offenses such as illegal reentry after removal.

But most of the aliens are incarcerated because of other federal crimes they committed. According to the report, 46 percent of these aliens committed drug trafficking or other drug-related offenses, which was the largest crime category committed by aliens in BOP custody. The remaining 25 percent committed a variety of other criminal offenses, including fraud, weapons charges, racketeering, and sexual crimes. Clearly, the large population of aliens in BOP custody cannot simply be explained away by immigration crimes."

I would trust neither your pathos nor your logic.

Submitted on Wednesday, Apr 17, 2019 at 11:02:03 PM

IndentIndentIndent

BFalcon

(Member since Dec 20, 2008), 21 fans, 3 articles, 17176 comments
Not paid member and Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Reply to don curry:   New Content

Think better:

"You described the right as, "always ready to confront and bully." You claimed to identify a characteristic of confronting and bullying as unique to the right."

Claiming that A does B does not imply that B is unique to A.

Submitted on Thursday, Apr 18, 2019 at 2:33:43 PM

IndentIndentIndentIndent

don curry

(Member since Apr 8, 2010), 1 fan, 709 comments

Reply to BFalcon:   New Content

He asked me to explain my claim of his "Ill-founded prejudices".

He said as "Progressives, we are the ones with the verifiable truth. We must fill the voids."

Which, I'm pretty sure, means he was clearly stating that indeed, he believes B is the only one A-ing, and A doesn't B.

Would it follow, therefore, that you agree with me about his ill-founded prejudices?

Submitted on Friday, Apr 19, 2019 at 2:45:17 AM

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

BFalcon

(Member since Dec 20, 2008), 21 fans, 3 articles, 17176 comments

Reply to don curry:   New Content

Not really.

First, this is not what you quoted above.

Also:

Progressives "are with the truth" may mean mostly and he doesn't say "only".

And I don't think that saying that Republicans claim practically exclusively things that are not true is a prejudice. I have seen that. Name one truth claimed by them.

Submitted on Friday, Apr 19, 2019 at 12:16:47 PM

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

don curry

(Member since Apr 8, 2010), 1 fan, 709 comments

Reply to BFalcon:   New Content

This I covered in one of my letters. Egberto says:

"He touched on crime,""

(When Egberto says, "He touched on crime", I think the Republican was forwarding a statistically based argument about the likelihood of any particular undocumented alien doing something illegal.)

Egberto continues, "I reminded him of several important logical conclusions that Fox News taught their viewers to ignore."

What follows are three bullet points, of which, only the first is about illegals and crime.

• "The majority of undocumented immigrants want to do nothing to attract any attention that could get them deported. As such, they commit less crime and do not vote."

That statement is based on Egberto's logical prediction of the odds of criminality of the undocumented.

I followed up with the statistical picture:

"The Center for Immigration Studies reports:

.org/Huennekens/DOJ-26-Federal-Prisoners-Are-Aliens

I hold to my claim of his and your ill-founded prejudices.

Submitted on Friday, Apr 19, 2019 at 10:23:25 PM

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

BFalcon

(Member since Dec 20, 2008), 21 fans, 3 articles, 17176 comments

Reply to don curry:   New Content

Why didn't you quote ONE thing that republicans said that was true as I asked?

On the rest of your comment:

Egberto's :

""The majority of undocumented immigrants want to do nothing to attract any attention that could get them deported. As such, they commit less crime and do not vote." "

is, I believe right and you didn't really disprove it.

Yours:

"I countered with another equally unsupported logical argument. If a person is willing to violate the laws of the country by entering illegally and is willing to remain here in violation of the laws of the country, it would follow that they are willing to break the law for their own benefit. "

of course, has one major flaw, the motive and the seriousness of the crime.

A person may have very strong motive to come to this country. And I believe that everybody perceives breaking the immigration laws a minor offense and morally acceptable. therefore it does not follow that they would be inclined to mug a person for 200 bucks and definitely would try not to rape (in order not to be caught).

What prejudices do you claim I have and where did this silly claim come from?

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 20, 2019 at 2:01:29 PM

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

don curry

(Member since Apr 8, 2010), 1 fan, 709 comments

Reply to BFalcon:   New Content

The report from the BOP that was in my comment statistically supports my statement and shows that Egberto's and your comment is not correct. You didn't mention it but resorted to a simple unsupported statement of your idea of logic.

Submitted on Saturday, Apr 20, 2019 at 11:26:05 PM

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

BFalcon

(Member since Dec 20, 2008), 21 fans, 3 articles, 17176 comments

Reply to don curry:   New Content

I focused on ONE truth told by Republicans, a request you still did not answer to.

Submitted on Sunday, Apr 21, 2019 at 12:46:45 PM

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

BFalcon

(Member since Dec 20, 2008), 21 fans, 3 articles, 17176 comments

Reply to BFalcon:   New Content

On the crime issue :

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/illegal-immigrants-and-crime-how-big-a-problem-is-crime-committed-by-immigrants/ :

"According to analysis of the 2010 census and the American Communities Survey done by the non-profit American Immigration Council , immigrants to the United States are significantly less likely than native-born citizens to be incarcerated. The authors found that 1.6 percent of immigrant males age 18-39 are incarcerated, compared to 3.3 percent of the native-born."

"The divide was even sharper when the authors examined the incarceration rate among immigrant men the authors believe likely to be undocumented specifically less-educated men from El Salvador and Guatemala between age 18-29. According to AIC senior researcher Walter Ewing, there are very few ways for men in this demographic to emigrate legally. According to the analysis, these likely undocumented immigrants had an incarceration rate of 1.7 percent, compared with 10.7 percent for native-born men without a high school diploma."

"A paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research in 2007 found that immigrants had incarceration rates about one-fifth that of native-born Americans, and that the difference actually increased between 1980 and 2000."

Submitted on Sunday, Apr 21, 2019 at 12:53:44 PM

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

don curry

(Member since Apr 8, 2010), 1 fan, 709 comments

Reply to BFalcon:   New Content

After you twice appealed to logic to prove reality, I challenged you to use actual statistics, and you finally did it. Egberto in his article adopted a superior attitude while forwarding a bunch of personal opinions.

I cited statistics from the Bureau of Prisons from the first. Now you and I are in the zone where solutions are possible. I cited statistics that I agree with, you cited statistics that you agree with.

A thing that occurs to me is that unlike the citations you used, the BOP is not an advocate for immigrants, it's merely reporting on the numbers. Still that doesn't mean there's not some way to call them into question.

That doesn't mean that my statistics are true and yours false. The way statistics are, by parsing definitions and categories, both can be true. True argument creates heat, and heat refines.

For myself, I have neither the time nor the expertise to drill down in this format, and I think we have reached the end its appropriate use. I now have your citations to consider.

My complaint was that the problem is complicated, and difficult, both legally and morally. Egberto's off-handed acceptance of his own moral superiority, and your odd claim that Republicans never tell the truth exhibit a prejudice that would be silly except that it limits each of your ability to learn and evolve.

Submitted on Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 12:43:54 PM

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

don curry

(Member since Apr 8, 2010), 1 fan, 709 comments

Reply to BFalcon:   New Content

One of the differences between our dueling statistics, besides the fact that yours are research from advocacy groups and mine is Bureau of Prisons. Is that BOP is crime on a federal level, hence more serious offenses. Yours are from all incarceration and might be only local communities reporting on their own record keeping. Still, that doesn't mean that your statistics are specious, and might, even if my observation is correct, add depth to the picture of who exactly is doing what.

Also, I just noticed that you statistics cited, don't differentiate between legal and illegal immigrants. This just means that the picture is more complicated that ever. If only one in ten immigrants arrested are illegal and immigrants are only half as likely to be incarcerated than citizens, illegal immigrants are 5 times more likely than native born to be incarcerated.

Don't get too excited, I am just making those numbers up, but it's just to point out that we need to slow down and think a little bit.

Submitted on Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 1:25:45 PM

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

BFalcon

(Member since Dec 20, 2008), 21 fans, 3 articles, 17176 comments

Reply to don curry:   New Content

We do need to slow down and think.

The most important point that I never mentioned is that you should not compare the immigrants with US citizens. They should be compared with a corresponding group of the US citizens.

That means people who are socially equivalent and you will agree that they provide the majority of "small criminals", those that are caught. They are much smaller group and the rate gets higher.

So statistics should be used very carefully.

I will mention from the above a quote that is somewhat enlightening:

I appreciate your desire to exactly discuss it but please be careful.

Submitted on Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 5:25:05 PM

Starbuck

(Member since Oct 24, 2008), 1 fan, 167 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

I am guessing you are not in California where the state refuses to take action on the massive ballot fraud happening here (yes it does). Too many things here just don't add up.

That said, congratulations on being able to have a civil disagreement without resorting to name calling and shouting matches. Our country would be much less divided if we had less of what the first comment on this thread referenced.

As for President Trump, there is no way anyone can deny that his move was well played. He exposed a lot of hypocrites and NIMBY's with that statement. Ironically the only one that took a non-hypocritical stand was the mayor elect of Chicago. Agree or disagree with sanctuary cities, but at least be consistent as Mayor-Elect Lightfoot was.

People like Nancy Pelosi and Cory Booker showed who they really are.

Submitted on Wednesday, Apr 17, 2019 at 4:45:34 AM