How to avoid election manipulation and theft.
1. Always use paper ballots.
It is OK to use an electronic reader to tabulate the ballots provided the paper trail is retained for at least 5 years after the election.
2. Provide four-part ballot forms so the voter can retain two copies with the other two being counted.
The copy ballots should receive a stamp to certify that it is an official copy of the original ballot cast. Each must have a unique ID number printed on all copies. Two copies go with the voter. The other two are placed into separate locked boxes one of which goes to the official elections commissions for tabulation with the second box going to an independent auditor to tabulate for comparison.
The voter's copies allow them to retain one copy and have one available to mail in the event of a recount or to verify that their vote was properly recorded using the ID number on the ballot.
3. Provide the option for voters to identify themselves on their ballot if they choose to do so.
By offering the option to declare your votes openly, this lessens the chance that your vote is not counted because it becomes traceable. A secret ballot is a ballot no one can confirm or deny as being valid or of having the correct candidates marked as intended.
4. Elections must not, by law, be run by any partisan part of government.
Members of elections boards should be chosen by random drawing from a pool of qualified persons and should be seated only for the duration of the particular election. None may be employees of any government body or agency or affiliated with any candidate.
5. An independent auditing company shall be hired
By open bid process, a licensed auditing firm shall be hired to receive and tabulate the second copies of the ballots to be compared with those tabulated by the elections board. No person associated with the auditor may sit on the elections board.
6. Press to witness counts.
Any bona fide member of the press shall be permitted to witness any ballot count as shall any member of an organized "poll watch" group.
7. All handling and counting of ballots shall be video taped.
8. Require recount in close race.