hospital waiting room
(Image by YouTube, Channel: Silvia Adamiakova') Details DMCA
Here are some aspects of Medicare for all that advocates should be mentioning in response to opponents weak, wrong criticism that it takes away healthcare from people who like what they have.
Medicare For All Will Liberate Millions of Healthcare SlavesThat's right. Slaves.
There are millions of people who are staying in jobs because they need the health insurance. They can't leave those jobs because they need health insurance and if they go to another job, they may have to wait to get put into the health care plan. Or if they want to start their own business, they can't afford to pay the health insurance.
So they are stuck, sometimes for years, even decades, unable to leave those jobs.
Merriam Webster offers this as a second definition of slavery:
2 : submission to a dominating influence.
Medicare For All Offers Freedom and Liberty where the current system does not.
Republicans like to talk about Medicare for all as socialism. But they also espouse Libertarian beliefs in liberty and freedom. And the fact is, Medicare for all offers far more freedom to choose than most employer provided plans. People who supposedly like their plans don't have enough information. M4A (Medicare for all) advocates should be disputing claims that people who like their insurance arguments by saying that employer provided insurance is ALWAYS more restrictive than Medicare for all.
Medicare For All Helps US Companies Be More Competitive Internationally
Companies pay a fortune for employee health insurance. For 2019, insurance cost about $15000. The average employer covered 70% and the employees covered the other 30%. The average income in 2019 is $900 a week. Adding health insurance increases employer costs by over 20%. The cost will be less for employers and for employees under Medicare for all. That lowers the bottom line and makes companies better able to compete with companies in nations where health insurance is provided by the government-- i.e., every other first world nation.
Medicare for All Can Help Employees Get Higher Take-Home Pay
The same reasons listed in the previous paragraph contribute to enabling employers to pay employees more.
Drug Prices and Out of Pocket Co-pays will come Way Down
Once M4A is in place, Pharmaceutical companies will be forced to negotiate and lower prices. This will save families a lot of money.
Most People Have Relatives Either Under-insured or Without Insurance
(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).