The Dallas Sierra Club recently passed a resolution in support of protecting the Winfrey Point Texas Last Steward prairie grasslands from a proposed multi-level overflow parking structure for the Dallas Arboretum. However, the Arboretum has convinced the City of Dallas to overturn an injunction, allowing parking for the Chihuly Art Exhibit on native grasslands at Winfrey Point -- the first step toward destruction!
You can help!
(1) Petition - We need signatures to demonstrate how area citizens value
this unique urban land.
(2) US Fish and Wildlife Service -- Please call them @ 817.334.5202 to voice
your concerns about building a parking garage on top of the Blackland Prairie
area (ecologically rare wildlife and wild grass) at Winfrey Point. They're
expecting your call
(3) Dallas City Council -- Please contact your council member (or email all
of them if you use White Rock Lake/Winfrey) to let them know that you want
the Winfrey Point Blackland Prairie area protected.
(4) Rally -- Please join us Saturday, May 5 at The Rally for Winfrey Point (8 a.m.). Gather in the Emerald Isle neighborhood at the intersection of Glenore and Timplemore (map: http://g.co/maps/4feue ). The rally will proceed down Garland Road around 8:30 a.m. to the gates of the Dallas Arboretum. Bring your slogans, signs, and any friends who share a love for the lake and Winfrey Point.
(5) Contact Dale Chihuly, the artist, to let him know how his art is being used to support grassland destruction and greed:
- Save Winfrey Point: http://savewinfreypoint.com/
- Dallas Morning News Blog (timely updates): http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/
- WFAA (story summary): http://tinyurl.com/6qsp3mo
- Winfrey Prairie Photos (as of today): http://tinyurl.com/77bsj8m
- Jim Schutze's comment about it in The Dallas Observer
- Sierra Club List Terms & Conditions: http://www.sierraclub.org/lists/terms.asp
Thanks for all your help protecting the natural treasures of our community!