Enough. Enough lies. Enough corruption. Enough propaganda. Enough fascism.
We must demand--yes, demand--a stable, secure left-wing talk radio station in every market. We must insist on antitrust action against the corporate monopolies that blast their lies and "savagery" on multiple stations as a tsunami of propaganda to manipulate the emotions and the thoughts of overwhelmed listeners.
We have had seventy years to enhance and expand the marketing techniques so effectively practiced by the Nazis to brainwash the German people and promote the disasters of World War II and the Holocaust. If the lies and "spin" that characterize right wing radio and television today are not countered by the truth of liberal and progressive talk radio, they will influence a majority of our population to willingly jump off the cliff, lemmings indoctrinated to welcome their enslavement.
The result: More imperialist wars, economic disaster, an oligarchy living off the labor of serfs and soldiers. A feudalism that will rival the Dark Ages in poverty and pestilence.
Air America has been struggling. Washington DC just lost its only liberal talk radio station. The Nova M network is now apparently down for the count. Can anything be done to keep us from drowning in right-wing Goebbel-esque garbage? Some suggestions:
1. Antitrust legislation and enforcement to limit the number of outlets and markets that can be controlled by one broadcasting agency.
2. Recognition of the airwaves as "public", not commercial, with a requirement to provide no-cost access and time for balanced perspectives.
3. Prosecution of slander, libel, and lies broadcast or disseminated as "talk" or "opinion".
4. Progressive donations-not just from the grass roots, but from the few remaining wealthy on the left. George Soros, Steven Spielberg, Rob Reiner, Larry David, Hollywood, where are you?
5. Dedication of at least one outlet per Top 100 market with a good signal to left of center radio.
6. Progressive talk show hosts should volunteer to work for a "living wage" (scale?) until the economics of their programs allow "commissions" or "bonuses". Yes, Rush and Sean are rich, but the cause of promoting truth, reasoned discussion, compassionate philosophies, and humanitarianism should trump monetary concerns. Live your philosophy and gain the rewards of pride in the good you do re-educating the brainwashed. If you want more money, do a non-political T and A comedy show--or become a lobbyist.
7. Progressive talk show hosts should also not fear offending their corporate masters and thus carving a middle-of-road or DLC line. Make a political commitment to "pull open the curtains" of politics and expose the corrupt "wizards" behind them. You have a unique opportunity to change the direction of discourse, and help promote questioning, critical thinking, and astute analysis among your listeners, and to promote accountability for elected officials.
8. Promote affordable portable web access on the move, on public transportation, and in the car to allow listeners to tune in to webcasting of diverse points of view.
Those of us in the audience should broadcast our own perspectives to our legislators to change the laws that have allowed corporate monopolies funded by filthy-rich oligarchs to have an unrestricted forum to spew propaganda that will destroy us and this country. Nationwide liberal radio-and TV--now!
Or we may soon be asking, " Pirate radio, anyone?"