Libyan people celebrate following Thursday's U.N. vote authorizing a no-fly zone over the country, in Benghazi, east Libya, early March
The Latest on Libya from MSNBC:
Libya declared a cease-fire Friday in a bid to fend off international military intervention after the U.N. authorized a no-fly zone, even as Moammar Gadhafi's forces shelled the rebel-held city of Misrata.
Twenty-five people were killed after tanks rolled in and heavy artillery bombarded the city, witnesses said.
"Gadhafi's forces are bombing the city with artillery shells and tanks. We now have 25 people dead at the hospital, including several little girls," Dr. Khaled Abou Selha told Reuters by satellite phone.
"They are even bombing ambulances. I saw one little girl with half of her head blown off," he said, crying.
The doctor and another resident, who identified himself as Mohamed, said the city was still being heavily shelled despite a rebel claim that the attack had been defeated and the cease-fire announcement by Foreign Minister Moussa Koussa.
"There are 20 tanks in the city, they are killing everybody because
they want to recapture the city by this evening," Mohamed said. The
sound of heavy artillery could be heard in the background.(FULL ARTICLE CONTINUED HERE)