Editor's Note: Our current focus on Pakistan is due to President Barack Obama's attempt to take the U.S. "war on terror" into Pakistan. The Obama regime has done so by trying to link Pakistan with Afghanistan, and by logical extension, to the 9/11 attacks, etc. He is following through with his campaign promise to redeploy U.S. troops from Iraq to both countries and he has already carried out attacks inside Pakistan, killing civilians with unmanned drone-missile strikes. Axis of Logic Columnist, Talha Mujaddidi lives in Pakistan and has written a series of articles for our readers which unravel the mysteries that have left many people confused by the corporate media in the West. Recently, another Axis Columnist, Robert Thompson, wrote about the use of the term "complicated" by those who are obfuscating issues rather than clarifying them with the simple truth. We are grateful to Talha Mujaddidi for this excellent treatise which helps us fulfill our mission, i.e. "Finding Clarity in the 21st Century Mediaplex". Talha kindly agreed when we asked him to begin this report on current events in Pakistan by giving us a Glossary of Terms which facilitates understanding for our readers.
- Les Blough, Editor
Glossary of Terms
Geographic Areas covered in this report: The North West Frontier Province (NWFP) and the Swat Valley.
Organisations and Political Parties
- National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) is the brainchild of Condi Rice, Richard Boucher, and John Negroponte. The NRO brought the current Pakistan government under President Zardari into power. One of the key functions of the NRO was to "baptize" all the corrupt politicians of the past, erasing their crimes and misdeeds.
- The Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) is the ruling political party under President Zardari.
- The Peoples National Party (ANP) is the local government of NWFP. In Pakistani terms it is the Awami (people's) National Party. The ANP is a party based on Marxist ideology. When Pakistan was being created, the ANP didn’t want to be part of Pakistan. This appears to be changing.
- Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) is the main anti-government party in Pakistan at the moment. Because the TTP bears the name "Taliban" the western media often confuses them with the Taliban in Afghanistan. This is a grave mistake. The Afgan Taliban rejects the TTP. The TTP views the ANP to be pro-US and part of the pro-US Pakistan government. The TTP is a group based on Takfiri ideology (a Mulim who believes that all other Muslims, even orthodox Muslims are not true Muslims. They view all others as collaborators with the West. All Muslim scholars are unanimous in declaring Takfiris ‘heretics of Islam’.
- Tehrik-e-Nizam e Shariat e Mustafa (TNSM) is the movement for implementation of Islamic laws in Swat. Sufi Mohammad is the original leader of the Swat Islamic courts movement and leader of of the TNSM.
- Darul Qaza is the name of the Islamic appellate court which Sufi Mohammad wants as the adjudicating body for legal issues in Swat.
- Asfandyar Wali the party chair of ANP, the local government in NWFP.
- Abdullah Mehsud - Founder of the TTP, the main anti-government party. Abdullah was killed by the Pakistan Army.
- Baitullah Mehsud is the cousin of the late, Abdullah Messud. Baitullah took over the TTP after Abdullah Mehsud was killed.