Poll Analyses
Share on Facebook 5 Share on Twitter Printer Friendly Page More Sharing
OpEdNews Op Eds    H3'ed 9/30/20

Debate Winner Announced!

Follow Me on Twitter     Message Meryl Ann Butler

Liberty and Freedom for All
Liberty and Freedom for All
(Image by Public domain image edited by Meryl Ann Butler)
  Details   DMCA
The winner of the debate has been announced - and it's me! ...because I never turned it on.

I spent the evening relaxed and happy, making art. Engaging in creativity has been scientifically shown to reduce stress and pain, and enhance wellness.

I didn't need to watch because I have already decided how I will vote, I did not suspect that I would learn anything new, and there are not a lot of other actions I can take right now to make an impact on outer situations even if I did get new information.

However, I have full control over what I choose to engage in that affects my inner landscape, and contributing to my own wellness also has a ripple effect on the world.

Nevertheless, I can't escape comments made by those who watched, and I have a solution.

I've been a speaker and presenter for over 30 years. When I am given a certain amount of time to stick to, I simply make sure my whole message fits into the time I've been given...it's not rocket science.

However, in a debate situation in which one or more participants are unwilling or unable to abide by time constraints, the moderator should be in control of a mike with a timer: the moderator asks the question, then hits the button to turn the mike on for that participant ... when the timer ends, the mike goes off automatically. That puts the full responsibility on the speaker to say what they need to say in the amount of time given.

This issue is very easy to fix in a civilized manner with the technology we possess...and likely would have been instituted long before now if there were not concerns that it might would lower ratings and viewership.

However, given the current situation, I believe instituting something like this would promote much more viewership - viewers would want to see what happens with this new twist, wouldn't you?

Well Said 1   Supported 1   Valuable 1
Rate It | View Ratings

Meryl Ann Butler Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Meryl Ann Butler is an artist, author, educator and OpedNews Managing Editor who has been actively engaged in utilizing the arts as stepping-stones toward joy-filled wellbeing since she was a hippie. She began writing for OpEdNews in Feb, 2004. She became a Senior Editor in August 2012 and Managing Editor in January, (more...)

Follow Me on Twitter     Writers Guidelines

The Bizarre Theft of Dr. Stanislaw Burzynski's Miracle Cancer Cure

Mysterious Bayou Sinkhole Continues to Cave In: Radiation, Hydrocarbons Detected

Tips for Avoiding Coronavirus

Relentless Bayou Corne Sinkhole Nearly 30 Times Original Size (UPDATED with Cave-In Video)

Sex, Love, and Jesus: A Few Surprises in the Easter Basket

2012: Armageddon or Quantum Leap? Gregg Braden's Answer-Fractal Time

Comments

Sheila Parks, Ed.D.

Follow Me on Twitter (Member since Feb 27, 2007), 24 fans, 44 articles, 276 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook Page Twitter Page Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

I totally agree, dear MAB. Trump did as we could have expected. I do fault the Time Keeper. AND I thinkfeelbelieve it was very bad to have someone from FOX be the timekeeper. Perhaps he consciously or unconsciously favored Trump.

Submitted on Wednesday, Sep 30, 2020 at 3:18:04 PM

Recommend  (1+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Meryl Ann Butler

Become a Fan Follow Me on Twitter (Member since Jun 5, 2006), 82 fans, 702 articles, 2066 quicklinks, 6309 comments, 8 diaries (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Reply to Sheila Parks, Ed.D.:   New Content

At some point we'll have the calculations of how much time each one got!

Submitted on Wednesday, Sep 30, 2020 at 4:10:12 PM

Recommend  (0+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Carol Jackson

Author 61962
(Member since Mar 25, 2011), 2 fans, 1012 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Not paid member and Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Reply to Sheila Parks, Ed.D.:   New Content

At this point in time anyone supporting Trump cannot really be hardly conscious at all.

Submitted on Wednesday, Sep 30, 2020 at 5:15:19 PM

Recommend  (1+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Jerry Kelley

(Member since Jan 16, 2009), 1 fan, 459 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

All along I've thought the president Dump was a very poor president and last night he proved to me he's a complete piece of garbage!

Submitted on Wednesday, Sep 30, 2020 at 4:41:15 PM

Recommend  (1+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Carol Jackson

Author 61962

But Meryl, you missed out on seeing poor Chris Wallace of fox opinions being being thoroughly embarrassed by a spoiled child throwing an incessant tantrum accompanied by a stream of childlike irrational bully dialogue. That Biden appeared dumfounded at this behavior gave an appearance of shock that Trump supporters readilly referred to as being dazed stupidity.

Submitted on Wednesday, Sep 30, 2020 at 5:10:18 PM

Recommend  (1+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Meryl Ann Butler

Reply to Carol Jackson:   New Content

LOL, I guess I dodged a bullet!

Submitted on Thursday, Oct 1, 2020 at 1:32:30 AM

Recommend  (0+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Susan Lee Schwartz

(Member since Oct 25, 2009), 23 fans, 20 articles, 4496 quicklinks, 8374 comments, 2 diaries (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook Page Twitter Page Linked In Page Instagram Page

Rachel Mafdow addressed what you felt... so many of us felt this way...but this was not entertainment..it was history... and moreover what she suggested was that turning it off , not watching -- is exactly what Trump wants. He wants your to believe that his rants are easy to dismiss.."oh, that's just him."

But, in this debate he told the gang called 'Proud Boys' to Crete civil disorder if he loses. THAT was the US president ordering chaos. People who missed THAT... miss the point. Trump's refusal to respect the vote shatters 'all the historically ingrained expectations' about American democracy and he did it at the Presidential debate, not a MSM media event.

But I know that you get who he is.

Submitted on Thursday, Oct 1, 2020 at 2:52:39 AM

Recommend  (0+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Meryl Ann Butler

Reply to Susan Lee Schwartz:   New Content

As Carl Jung said, what we resist, persists...resistance actually supplies energy to what we don't want. I'm convinced that 's what put Trump in the White House -- people's fixation on not wanting him there. It's like the little disruptive 2nd grade boy who actually gets his energy from attention to his bad behavior.

Visualizing what I actually want is much easier for me when I am not looking at Trump, so I am contributing my unconflicted energy to the vision of a better future.

Submitted on Thursday, Oct 1, 2020 at 3:36:03 AM

Recommend  (0+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Peter Barus

Become a Fan (Member since Jul 15, 2007), 2 fans, 69 articles, 2 quicklinks, 94 comments, 5 diaries (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

"What becomes possible, soon becomes necessary: invention is the mother of necessity"
       -- Peter Barus

Reply to Meryl Ann Butler:   New Content

Resistance is persistence -- spot on! Just pushing against that spitting psychopath, we assume the same shape. Structural engineering. And, brilliant point about managing your own attention, this may be the single most critical access we humans have to changing our trajectory and dodging extinction. It's gonna be close. As to what the TV clowns want you to do, arguing with fools just makes me another fool. Thanks for a lovely article.

Submitted on Friday, Oct 2, 2020 at 12:51:22 AM

Recommend  (1+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?
IndentIndentIndent

Meryl Ann Butler

Reply to Peter Barus:   New Content

Thanks, Peter!

Love this:

" Just pushing against that spitting psychopath, we assume the same shape"

Submitted on Friday, Oct 2, 2020 at 2:28:43 AM

Recommend  (0+)
Share Comment More Sharing
Commenter Blocking?

Lois Gagnon

(Member since Mar 21, 2011), 42 fans, 1 articles, 15 quicklinks, 5695 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

I did not watch because I can't stand either one of these oligarch loving enemies of the people. I'm voting for saving the planet and all it's inhabitants.

Submitted on Thursday, Oct 1, 2020 at 3:52:28 PM