Power of Story Send a Tweet        
OpEdNews Op Eds

Collaboration Brings Hope, "as funding allows"

By       Message Stephanie M. Schwartz       (Page 1 of 3 pages)     Permalink

Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; (more...) ; ; , Add Tags  (less...)  Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 1   Touching 1   Inspiring 1  
View Ratings | Rate It

opednews.com

Author 18417
- Advertisement -

Collaboration Brings Hope, "as funding allows"

Link Center Foundation and NAMA Join Efforts

by Stephanie M. Schwartz,

President, Link Center Foundation  www.LinkCenterFoundation.org

- Advertisement -

Freelance Writer  www.SilvrDrach.homestead.com

Member, Native American Journalists Association (NAJA)

November 29, 2008

- Advertisement -
Collaboration Brings Hope, "as funding allows" 

In mid-November, 2008, Link Center Foundation's long-standing Emergency Heating/Utility Assistance Program for the elders, disabled, and seriously ill residents of the Lakota (Sioux) Reservations in South Dakota began a collaborative effort with NAMA, the Native American Music Association (which produces the Native American Music Awards known as Nammys) to better serve the elders and disabled on the Lakota Reservations with their emergency heating needs.

 

In a winter which has already produced a blizzard of mammoth proportions, there is an urgent and ever-greater need to act now to find funding for this winter-long assistance program.  With unemployment reaching up to 85%, a 33% increase in fuel costs, and average monthly incomes roughly $350 or less, the elderly and disabled are the most at-risk population.

 

To make matters even more serious, according to the last census, nearly 60% of all elders are raising grandchildren or great-grandchildren in their home.

 

However, the key phrase, "as funding allows," influences everything (including hope).  Unfortunately, the national economy has been on a downward spiral and donations to non-profits reflect that condition.  Giving to worthy causes has diminished everywhere.  Nonetheless, the critical life-threatening needs still exist on the reservations. 

 

This collaboration of Link Center Foundation and NAMA seeks to better provide a little hope and emergency assistance with the help of contributions from the public.  No amount is too small.

 

Link Center Foundation

- Advertisement -

is a small, grassroots all-volunteer 501c3 non-profit organization in Colorado.  It has been working to help on the Lakota reservations of South Dakota since 2000.  Its formal Emergency Heating/Utility Assistance program has been active since 2005.  It seeks to serve all 9 Lakota (Sioux) Reservations in South Dakota as funding allows.  95% of all donations to the Emergency Heating/Utility program are used solely for that program (propane, electricity, and/or wood) and the remaining 5% covers bank and credit/debit card processing fees and other necessary operating costs. 

 

NAMA, the Native American Music Association,

is also a 501c3 non-profit organization and is located in New York City.  Responding initially to the mammoth blizzard and crisis conditions in early November 2008, NAMA wishes to continue to help provide emergency winter heating assistance to the elders and disabled on the Pine Ridge and Rosebud Lakota (Sioux) Reservations for the winter of 2008-2009.  Collaborating with Link Center Foundation's emergency heating program serves that purpose.  NAMA's response has also initiated and coordinated numerous clothing drives to benefit both those reservations.

Next Page  1  |  2  |  3

 

- Advertisement -

Must Read 1   Touching 1   Inspiring 1  
View Ratings | Rate It

opednews.com

I am a 62 year old female Freelance Writer and Editor and Member of the Native American Journalists Association (NAJA). I live in Firestone, Colorado and specialize in Native American and Indigenous Issues, particularly those pertaining to Lakota (more...)
 

Share on Google Plus Submit to Twitter Add this Page to Facebook! Share on LinkedIn Pin It! Add this Page to Fark! Submit to Reddit Submit to Stumble Upon Share Author on Social Media   Go To Commenting

The views expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of this website or its editors.

Writers Guidelines

Contact AuthorContact Author Contact EditorContact Editor Author PageView Authors' Articles
- Advertisement -

Most Popular Articles by this Author:     (View All Most Popular Articles by this Author)

Spiritual Empowerment of Women

Elders Step Up: Historic International Meeting of Indigenous Spiritual Elders

About the Lakota Sacred Red Stone C'anunpa

Lakota Leader Speaks Out: Our Children Are Dying

A Call to Young Warriors, to all Young People

Feeding, Heating, and Healing One Family at a Time