Keith Olbermann reacted negatively to the use of 9/11 footage in the RNC video at the late, "hate" convention. I'm sure his appropriate concern that non-partisan victims are being exploited for partisan purposes cuts no ice with the "barracudas" at the RNC.
But the video is ripe for media literacy analysis. Let's help our voters dissect the spin by using media literacy techniques:
Who is the creator of the message?
1. Obviously someone commissioned by Dick Cheney and the Perpetual War wing of the Republican Party.
What is the purpose of the message?
1. Purpose #1--To make you terror-fied. Them towel-heads are comin' to git us.
2. Purpose #2--To make you angry. Paw, git the shotgun, I'm gittin' ree-venge. Bristol, you take the rest of the wimmin-folk inside!
3. Purpose #3--To tie in the Iranians with 9/11. I'm gonna go shoot me some Eye-ray- nians! Are you ready for an attack on Iran? (And the Russian response?)
What is missing from this message?
2. The Iranian Revolution of 1979 was a response to years of dictatorship by the fascist American puppet Shah. Despite the installation of an equally unpleasant religious dictatorship, its leaders negotiated with Republican politicos to delay the release of the hostages in exchange for arms so that Ronald Reagan could benefit politically, making these politicos accomplices to the kidnapping. The Iranians had nothing to do with Osama Bin Laden or 9/11.
3. Explore the truth behind 9/11. In addition to the "official theory", there is much research available on the Internet that supports the possibilities that GW Bush and his administration either allowed 9/11 to occur or actively participated in its implementation, perhaps with the goal of attacking Afghanistan and Iraq. By the way, the Iraqis had nothing to do with Osama Bin Laden or 9/11.
Where have the funds for this message come from?
1. Your tax dollars, laundered through no-bid contracts and bail-outs to corporations and their executives and cronies.
So, yes, Keith was right that this was an offensive exploitation of 9/11 victims. But it was an even more offensive--and dangerous--exploitation of Madison Avenue spin techniques honed over the last 50 years to be a nuclear weapon against truth.