Are we ready to admit this truth? Most accidents: vehicle, rail, traffic, swimming pool, kitchen, cooking, window washing, weight disorders, falling cranes, hospital, senior facilities, opioid overdoses, house fires and being left in overheated cars, resulting in serious injury or death - are due to human error:
- Rushing too fast to get it right the first time
- Preoccupation with personal problems diminishing common good focus
- Cutting corners, whether corporate ordered or individual work ethic
- Texting, cell phoning, iPod, radio distractions
Are we not yet ready to unchain ourselves from things, places, people, elections and corporations inciting an abundance of: Digital mob mindset, being herded beyond group speak into gratuitous global screen fixation?
Can our exceptionalism survive voters:
- Without civics education for election participation
- More consumed by student debt than, Big Picture
- Defending not voting, or voting for the greater of two evils
- Proving the fallacy that perfection can be achieved without first doing the best we can, to be better
Aren't memory lapses of historical lessons flashing red warnings to get ready, or does self-absorbed over-consumerism dim our ability to deny perfect the freedom to handicap better?
Are we less ready than Robert Todd Lincoln, or any American, for President William McKinley's September 14, 1901, death by bullet infection, after the lesson of President James Garfield's September 19, 1881, death by medical arrogance?
Was America's military and civilian oversight ready for 1963 Dallas after Good Friday 1865 Lincoln assassination? Perhaps then, America's not being ready for WWII twenty-four years after WWI's mustard-gas ending is not surprising.
Is being blind-sided by an administration determined to destroy our environment for profit, prioritizing internment camps over post-hurricane rescue -- a joint venture in, My Bad? Is continually shifting from headlines du jour, defense for our forgetting lead-poisoned children in 2014 Flint Michigan?
According to a new report by the World Health Organization and UNICEF, some 3 in 10 people worldwide, or 2.1 billion, lack access to safe, readily available water at home, and 6 in 10, or 4.5 billion, lack safely managed sanitation.
Whether self-preservation or, our brother's keeper -- are we ready?
IF: not my problem, love it or leave it, anti-immigrant conservatives - are we fact-check ready: of the 327.16 million Americans, 63 million are exposed to unsafe drinking water in 2018!
Is being ready, insisting:
- Our oceans are our protection
- More guns, equal safer schools
- Not even God can sink our stock market & 401Ks
- Our nuclear facilities, fracking, grid, utility companies keep America safe
- Texas is better without Helen Keller & Hillary Clinton
Is repeating, thoughts and prayers for September 11, 2001, Sandy Hook December 14, 2012, and Parkland's 2018 Valentines' Day, being ready?
Electing trickle-down economics empowered an anti-checks and balances Dick Cheney power grab for presidential superiority. So, are we ready to stop believing the lies we tell ourselves about perpetual war, Alzheimer's, the gutting of ACA/Obamacare, FEMA -- and Republican senators willing to install a second alleged sexual abuser to our Supreme Court dais?
Were Americans in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover, Massachusetts, made ready for late-night gas explosions, house fires and, after the fact, mandatory, run-for-your-lives evacuations -- caused by years of neglecting leaky old gas pipes?
While no generation is responsible for the world it inherits, each successive generation is America's best hope for the reconstruction of truth.