If an American (or for that matter any Westerner) is asked to name the country where:
- Religiously-oriented don't hesitate to spit on women they consider immodestly dressed;
- Gender segregation on buses is routine and expanding;
- Ads featuring not just the scantily-clad women but women as such are being banished;
- F emales attending public ceremonies or receiving/giving awards from/to men is considered taboo by increasing number of population;
- A radio station banned singing and interviews by females;
- A male student group refused to be lectured by a female;
- Religious leaders ask Army Chief not to force religiously inclined soldiers to listen to female signing;
- Entrances and waiting rooms in some health clinics are gender-based;
- Some supermarkets are deciding shopping hours on gender basis;
- Female soldiers are told to leave the army to avoid offence to religiously-oriented male soldiers army expects to join;
- Religious parties hold 20% of seats in the national parliament but do not have a single women on their list and keep sabotaging any and every pro-woman legislation ".
Clue: It is supposed to be "the only democracy" in an ocean of religious bigotry.
Well, before naming the country, the very first thought that would instantly hit him/her is that it has to be a Muslim country, for aren't Muslims supposed to be the only people who, in Western view, are obligated by their religion (Islam) to discriminate against women. Next, Gulf countries and many other Muslim countries would get eliminated for their non-democratic character. Among the rest: Indonesia, Malaysia, Bangladesh -- no news about women being oppressed there. Egypt, Tunesia Libya -- still finding democratic feet. A little bit of more mental struggle should certainly settle for Pakistan, which, for convenient reasons determined by unending war on Afghanistan, is accepted to be a democracy but very often in the eye of Western media for its "religious intolerance' and oppression of women.
But -- unfortunately for the people fed on media falsehood and steeped in ignorant bliss as the Americans are -- it is not Pakistan; indeed, not any other democratic or undemocratic Muslim country!
It is what America and its European allies describe as "the beacon of democracy" in bigoted Middle East -- Israel! Yes, Israel; repeat Israel. Israel -- the likes of Pamella Geller are advertising in America as the " sole beachhead of " civilization" (emphasis mine).
(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).