As husband, father, Navy Fighter Pilot and Politician, John McCain, a frequent ally on both sides of the aisle, optimized, whether thumbs up or down, all of our States were his responsibility -- even when Americans failed to follow his example to preserve, protect and defend every life on American soil.
McCain knew from Alaska's front porch view of Russia, to hurricane hammered Hawaii, to forgotten Native Americans and geographically detached Puerto Rican Americans -- true patriots, like real heroes, don't use ICE to destroy families and disappear children.
During his eighty-one years:
- President Lyndon B. Johnson unnecessarily made Eisenhower's and Kennedy's Vietnam worse
- With Kent State, failure to keep Vietnam promise and Watergate cover-up, President Richard M. Nixon devastated America's faith in government
- In 1968, America lost Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Then Bobby. Then in the streets of Chicago, a defensive Mayor Richard J. Daley released offensive police to commit assault and battery against anti-war American citizens -- violence which, in the heat of three nights, lured America onto the road to Trump's erosion of our First Amendment .
Only a united people can survive the uber wealthy Republican 50-year plan to herd us, no matter our political POV, into feudalistic surfs over consuming for Corporatism's profit.
Our current wounds and troubled waters didn't start with Trump's flood of lies, though his lack of knowledge and respect for American law, coupled with a complete disregard for human decency, probably convinces his morally destitute ego that he alone is master of our un-Americanism.
Nonetheless, America's current troubling waves are less about Trump and more about how Americans progress our nation forward embodying our ideals of life, liberty and the pursuit of justice for all, finally internalizing:
- Immigration Reform means practicing what our Statue of Liberty preaches
- Children must be saved from gun violence and all pedophiles whether priests or preachers, politicians or teachers, college coaches or athletic doctors
- Justice for All means ALL - including LGBTQ, those taking a knee and refugees seeking asylum
However, as long as some Americans vote for a Supreme Court that betrays our historical Separation of Church and State, our desire for gender equality and our, one person, one vote Exceptionalism -- America will be trumped by greed twisting Constitutional interpretations into profit margins.
When Americans choose to ignore Emoluments Clause violations, limitations of the 25th Amendment -- laughing off live confessions of grabbing intimate female areas, unpresidential disrespect for heroes like John McCain, while inflaming division with Tweets of misinformation -- America will be run by a cowardly Congress, politized SCOTUS and an unindicted co-conspirator POTUS, increasingly cornered - and dangerously vengeful.
The loss of anyone is as heartbreaking for family and friends, as losing the vision, humor and soul of a nation, is crippling. Nonetheless we need rediscover our hero within to non-violently vanquish the opportunists inciting a house divided against itself.
Americans' faith in our collective heroism, individual integrity and personal strength of character has been relentlessly attacked by tsunamis of hateful self-delusion, fearful self-doubt and ravenous death: Anthony Bourdain, Steve Ditko, Milos Forman, Stephen Hawking, Tab Hunter, Margot Kidder, Robin Leach, Philip Roth, Kate Spade, Tom Wolfe, Craig Zadan -- and now Aretha Franklin, Neil Simon and John McCain.
In nineteen months, Trump confirmed it is easier to destroy America's protective institutions than it is for a Christ-like Pope to save a Roman institution from itself.
Throughout his life, Senator John McCain made it abundantly clear, he served an America that was for all of its people -- including rivals.
Rejecting misinformation and denial bestirs America's heroic bridge to victory over troubling threats: Climate Change, gun violence, Alzheimer's, abused children -- decisively admitting, our future is on us.