"I beseech you to treasure up in your hearts these my parting words: Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."
Ideas he fostered and championed are fast disappearing. Some final comments on that below.
John Dewey was an America philosopher, psychologist, and educational reformer. He advocated progressive education and liberalism. He considered an educated public fundamental to democracy.
He believed education should be freely available to everyone from kindergarten to college. His progressive education ideas were later codified as follows:
(1) Student conduct "shall be governed by themselves, according to the social needs of" society.
(2) "Interest shall be the motive for all work."
(3) Teachers should inspire a desire to learn. They should be guides in the educational process.
(4) "Scientific study of each pupil's development, physical, mental, social, and spiritual is absolutely critical to the essential direction of his (her) development."
(5) Attention should be paid to all childhood needs.