4. Membership in a Masonic lodge is a grievous violation of Catholic canon law.
5. In an unusual act of political sanity the 1972 Nixon campaign declined a $1 million dollar donation from Sindona, as revealed by post Watergate investigations. That Sindona made such an offer exposes both how big and how delusional his schemes were.
6. In The Godfather III the Michael Corelone character is a vehicle to present a somewhat sanitized variation on the Michele Sindona persona. In the film Corelone tries to finally become legitimate by investing in "International Immobilaire" in association with corrupt Vatican clerics, some of whom are murdered. No factual portrayal of the life of Sindona or Marcinkus has been produced. In TGIII the Frederick Keinzig character is a much altered stand in for Roberto Calvi. The more realistic God's Banker news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/
entertainment/18625998.stm was widely distributed only in Italy, where the publicity may have assisted in the attempt to legally solve his violent death as mentioned in the text.
7. George Dale [MS state insurance commissioner], Anne Pope [TN], Scott Laken [MO], Carroll Fisher [OK] and Mike Pickens [AK] versus Monsignor Emilio Colagiovanni [Vatican representative6], Edward Collins [associate of Frankel and Trustee of St. Francis], Corbally [well connected businessman], Endurance Investments Ltd. [controlled by Corbally]; The Holy See a/k/a Vatican City State and Monitor Eccleiasticus Foundation [MEF, a Vatican organ that Colagiovanni described as a "channel and instrument in fulfilling the will and wish of the Supreme administrator," i. e. JP II (a view supported in Behar 1999]. The full suit can be found at www.thememoryhole.org/states-v-vatican.pdf. After Hurricane Katrina Dale warned insurance companies to honor their policies with MS clients.
8. 2004 Associated Press and NYT obituaries list international playboy Corbally's history as a Spitfire pilot, OSS spy, involvement in the infamous Perfumo prostitution affair that brought down a British government as both the sponsor of the contributing orgies and the whistleblower, high placed friends such as the king of Jordan and Mother Teresa, and proclaimed innocence in the Frankel debacle.
9. A Vatican judge emeritus, unfortunately for him he is a U. S. citizen, which left him vulnerable to prosecution.
10. These stories report that the Vatican approached the Bush II administration without much success with the request that the Vatican (as a state) and Pontiff (as a head of state) be declared immune from civil suits related to the sex scandals. This is part of a broader effort to maintain general immunity for the Holy See. A number of suits in the hundreds of millions to billions range stemming from WW II to the 21st century are pending against the Vatican, and the fall of the wall of immunity could prove financially devastating, as well as open files to public view that have so far remained secret.
Allen, J. 2002 "Lawyers Target the Holy See." The National Catholic Reporter July.
Anonymous 1981a. "Vatican Banker linked to Sindona was arrested." Reuters Feb. 5.
Anonymous 1981b. "American in Key Vatican Job." The New York Times Sept. 30: A12.
Anonymous 1982. God's Banker found hanged. BBC 6/19: news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/june/19/newsid_3092000/3092625.stm.
Arlacchi, P. 1983. Mafia Business. London: Verso.
Anonymous 2005. Europe: Vatican. The Washington Post 8/17.