Washington and Britain were alarmed. Destabilization followed, including reduced Iranian oil purchases and other economic pressures. US/UK agitators fanned religious discontent and turmoil. Oil strikes occurred. Production was crippled.
Regime change was planned. In January 1979, things came to a head. The Shah fled the country. Khomeini returned and proclaimed an Islamic republic. In May, he cancelled further nuclear development. It was peaceful then and now.
In the 1980s, America encouraged Saddam's war against him. Around a million on both sides died. Iran was too strong to defeat. Other measures short of war followed, including vicious anti-Iranian propaganda.
It portrays the Islamic Republic as uncultured, uncivilized, and dangerous. Forged documents and other materials suggest an Iranian nuclear weapons program. Western media scoundrels regurgitate the lie. They've been doing it for years, despite no corroborating evidence whatever.
Nonetheless, Washington, Israel and rogue Western allies spuriously accuse Iran of covertly developing a nuclear weapons capability.
BPC urges combating it aggressively, including:
- strengthening America's "declaratory policy" to use force;
- escalating disruptive covert operations and intelligence;
- bolstering Washington's Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman presence by deploying another carrier battle group, conducting regional military exercises with allies, and pre-positioning supplies for possible aggression;
- building the military capabilities of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman and UAE;
- "quarantin(ing)" Iran if other measures fail; it's diplomatic language for blockading, constituting an act of war under international law; and