* All candidates, at all rallies, should forbid booing and violent comments (which the Obama campaign has done). Like a responsible parent or teacher they can say, "Booing may feel good, but let's be more mature than that. We are all Americans and no matter what happens we will work together."
* Those who continue inflammatory rhetoric should be immediately challenged on grounds of ethics, morality and possible legality of incitement, defamation, libelous and sedition. Fire hosts or give them intensive behind-the-scenes education and have them calm their audiences. Their comments are far worse than what got Don Imus and Trent Lott in trouble.
* Identify and boycott sponsors of shows that incite.
* Religious leaders, mega church leaders, TV Evangelists, and other public figures should call for calm and unity and be available for healing during and after the election.
* Go beyond dualistic Republican and Democratic thinking. Differentiate thoughtful, civil Republicans and Democrats from those who are mean-spirited and destructive.
* It is time to move together as Americans towards post-partisan consciousness. The world is waiting for us to manifest our highest ideals. Form post election reconciliation teams now and begin creating a healing environment.
* This week hold teach-ins, town meetings, give sermons, talk show segments, and have therapists like Dr. Phil, begin preparing people for possible disappointment and have people talk to their friends, relatives and neighbors.
* Educate about universal security and bodies knowledge on conflict analysis, tension reduction, nonviolent conflict transformation, and reversing cycles of violence. Many incorrectly believe in provocative, threatening policies that have the opposite effect of escalating violence. They fear that Obama is not tough enough. Increase understanding of wisdom, dialogue and effective strategies than can reduce threats and increase enduring security.
* Make preparations for possible extreme reactions anyway.
A Golden Opportunity
We are at the threshold of a new era. This fragile time is filled with promise and fraught with potential for danger. A massive collective effort towards healing and reconciliation will support the best-case scenario and reduce forces that could sabotage our process of coming together.
Let's all bring out the best in ourselves, our leaders, and our celebrities to raise the level of discourse and create a contagion of calming to allow us to bring out the best in our country.
******** Song for our country Imagine There's No Parties (written in 2004 ) by Diane Perlman
Imagine there's no parties It's easy if you try No more left-right food fight No more thinking black or white Imagine politicians solving problems for us all
Chorus You may say I'm independent But I just want to stay alive We have to learn to be transcendent So our descendents can survive
Imagine no financing No raising thousands by the hour No corporate favors and romancing Outspending rivals to buy power Imagine politicians free to focus on higher goals Chorus