No study that I am aware of has ever shown that there is a problem with LDL if HDL levels are in balance with LDL. It is the balance that matters (32).
Dr. Richard Kronmal, a statistician at the University of Washington, found that the relationship between cholesterol levels and risk of death from heart attacks diminished as people grew older, eventually becoming non-existent (56).
Some cholesterol-lowering drugs (statins) have serious side effects -- including more than 100 deaths by Baycol (84) (91). Also Crestor has been implicated in one death (102)
Low LDL has been linked to diminished mental acuity (68) (104) and many other serious problems including cancer, lung disease, suicide, violent death (69) and intercranial hemorrhage (47)
Only 40 percent of people with high cholesterol levels die of heart disease (57).
HDL is considered low at 35 mg. / tenth of a liter; a high level is 60 mg. / tenth of a liter (60) (62).
HDL is good for you (94) (96) (107).
" Nearly 1/2 of heart patients have normal cholesterol levels" (101)
Based on the above, it is foolish to try to reduce LDL by taking drugs.
MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE CHOLESTEROL PROCESS
- The body manufactures cholesterol -- mostly in the liver, but also in the brain.
- Some cholesterol is picked up and combined with certain proteins and is called LDL (Low Density Lipoproteins).
- LDL goes to artery walls (3) and deposits the cholesterol where it is used to build cell membranes.
- Other cholesterol is picked up by other proteins and is called HDL (High Density Lipoproteins).
- Cholesterol is the basic building block of all cell membranes including artery cells, brain cells and muscle cells. It is extremely important. We are basically made of cholesterol. It is necessary for life.
- The cholesterol
system is self controlled. The HDL removes excess cholesterol by taking
it to the liver where it is discharged
Added information on 2/1/08 shows Cholesterol makes your brain work better.
This link goes to an abstract of the study. The abstract links to the study.
The 111 articles listed below were selected from hundreds archived
by the NY Times. They were read in an effort to understand the subject by Martin Carbone
recently advised by his doctor to take the anti-cholesterol statin-drug, Crestor.
It is hoped that these articles will (a) help you understand what cholesterol is, (b) how it can affect you and (c) whether or not you should try to control it.
To retrieve articles:
1 Go to << http://www.nytimes.com/ >>
2 Select "NY Times Archive Since 1981"
2 Put the title of article in search box -- see list below
3 The article should come up
TITLES OF ARTICLES
- LONG-TERM STUDY LINKS CHOLESTEROL TO HAZARD OF EARLY CORONARY DEATH
- IDEAS AND TRENDS IN SUMMARY; Is Cholesterol dangerous? New Study Says Yes
- RESEARCHER TRACES A PROCESS OF CHOLESTEROL BUILDUP
- LIFE-SAVING BENEFITS OF LOW-CHOLESTEROL DIET AFFIRMED IN RIGOROUS STUDY
- COFFEE'S DRINKERS SAID TO RUN RISKS
- STUDY BACKS CUTTING CHOLESTEROL TO CURB HEART DISEASE RISK
- PERSONAL HEALTH; LOWERING CHOLESTEROL IN BLOOD
- PERSONAL HEALTH; CALCIUM, CHOLESTEROL AND DIET
- DIET TO PREVENT HEART ATTACKS AIMS TO CUT BLOOD FAT LEVELS
- 2 WIN HORWITZ PRIZE FOR CHOLESTEROL WORK
- PANEL SAYS CHOLESTEROL LEVELS IN MANY IS DANGEROUSLY HIGH
- LOWERING BLOOD CHOLESTEROL TO PREVENT HEART DISEASE
- SCIENCE WATCH; 'HEALING' MAY WORSEN CHOLESTEROL DAMAGE
- 2 AMERICANS WIN NOBEL MEDICINE PRIZE
- NEW STUDY TIES COFFEE DRINKING OF 5 CUPS DAILY TO HEART DISEASE
- METHOD OF TREATING CAUSE OF HEART ATTACKS TESTED
- Q & A: DR. W. VIRGIL BROWN; SOME OUNCES OF PREVENTION THAT LOWER HEART RISK
- SCIENCE WATCH; Seasonal Cholesterol
- HIGH CHOLESTEROL THREATENING MANY
- PERSONAL HEALTH - DECEMBER 10, 1986 / BY JANE BRODY
- CHOLESTEROL: DRUG HAILED AS TREATMENT BREAKTHROUGH
- SURGEON QUESTIONS CHOLESTEROL ROLE
- FOR FIRST TIME, CUT IN CHOLESTEROL IS SHOWN TO DETER ARTERY CLOGGING
- IDEAS & TRENDS; Some Unclogging Of The Arteries
- Cholesterol Researcher is Censured For Misrepresenting Data in Article
- SCIENCE WATCH; PECTIN and CHOLESTEROL
- IDEAS AND TRENDS: New Drug; Toward Cholesterol Control
- U.S. DEFINES CHOLESTEROL HAZARDS AND OFFERS TREATMENT GUIDELINES
- Cholesterol-Altering Drugs Found To Reduce Risk of Heart Attack
- Doctors' Attitudes on Cholesterol Are Studied
- New Study Indicates One in 3 Tend To Get Risky Form of Cholesterol
- FITNESS; Cholesterol Control Is Only One Step to Health
- HEALTH: Study Suggests One Saturated Fat May Deserve Clean Bill of Health
- HOW TO LOWER YOUR CHOLESTEROL
- New Theory Explains How Cholesterol Threatens the Heart
- Researchers Say a Hormone in the Blood Drastically Cuts Cholesterol
- Health; Doctors Confirm Benefits Of Aspirin
- Major Study Aims to Learn Who Should Lower Cholesterol
- EATING WELL; Cholesterol Matters, But How Much?
- Decaffeinated Coffee Tied to Cholesterol Rise
- HEALTH; Heart Groups Reaffirm The Health Benefits of Lower Cholesterol
- High Cholesterol Poses Heart Risk in Older Men, Study Says
- Oil From Rice Aids Monkey
- Blood Fat Is Said to Imperil Heart Despite Normal Cholesterol Level
- Panel Urges Test for Cholesterol That Helps Prevent Heart Disease
- Cholesterol Testing Urged For Elderly
- Cholesterol's New Image: High Is Bad; So Is Low
- Support Grows For Vitamins As Roadblocks To Heart Disease
- Anti-Cholesterol Vitamins?; Your Mother Is Still Right About Vegetables and Fruit
- Study Concludes That Eating Nuts Can Cut the Risk of Heart Attack
- Study Finds 2 Drinks A Day Keeps Heart Fit
- Vitamin E Greatly Reduces Risk of Heart Disease, Studies Suggest
- Survey Finds Major Gains In Cutting Blood Cholesterol
- Substance Is Linked to Strokes
- Study Suggests That 2 Fatty Acids May help Keep Hearts Healthy
- Heart Ills and High Cholesterol May Not Be Linked In Old Age
- Study Finds Cholesterol-Lowering Drug May Save Lives
- Use of Drugs to Lower Cholesterol is Tied to a Higher Depression Risk
- Company News; Zocor Found to Lower Deaths From Heart Disease
- Sign Of Heart Risk for the Elderly
- Study Finds Cholesterol Screening is Flawed
- Personal Health; A Facilitator for Good Cholesterol is Found
- F.D.A. allows Drug as a Heart Medicine
- Warner-Lambert's Cholesterol Therapy Wins Approval
- Protein May be Heart Risk Factor
- Heart Drugs Fight Stroke
- Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs May Dull Alertness
- Researcher Links Reduction in Cholesterol With Violent Death
- A Broader Benefit is Found in a Drug To Cut Cholesterol
- National News Briefs; Cholesterol Drugs Found to Help Heart Patients
- Researchers Hail Carotid Testing
- Personal Health; Paradox Or Not; Cholesterol in France Is On The Rise
- Personal Health; The Fatty Nut Finds Its Place At The Table
- Protein Predicts Heart Attacks Better Than Cholesterol
- Early Testing Urged For High Cholesterol
- More Fans For Drugs That Fight Cholesterol
- Vital Signs; Longevity; Centenarians' Secret: It's in the Blood
- Heart Study Affirms Value of Stain Drugs
- Vital Signs: Prevention; In Youth, It's Not Just About Cholesterol
- U.S. Panel Backs Broader Steps To Reduce Risk of Heart Attacks
- Personal Health; Plotting an Attack On Your Cholesterol
- Cholesterol Fighters Lower Heart Attack Risk, Study Finds
- Company News; Bayer Raises Death Toll From Cholesterol Drug
- Vital Signs: Habits; Lower Cholesterol, the Grazing Way
- Vital Signs: Treatment; A Cholesterol Drug's Added Benefits
- Pfizer to Pay $49 Million in Fraud Case
- Company News; Pfizer Says Drug Reduces Heart Attacks and Strokes
- Study Says a Protein May Be Better Than Cholesterol in Predicting Heart Disease Risk
- Vital Signs: Side Effects; When Aspirin Can't Help a Heart
- Bayer Says It Is Trying to Settle Another 500 Lawsuits Over Its Drug for Cholesterol
- Nation's Largest Medical Prize Goes to 2 for Cholesterol Work
- Vital Signs: Warnings; Increasing the Odds of Trouble
- Personal Health; Cholesterol: When It's Good, It's Very, Very good.
- Living Longer and Larger: It's in the Size of Cholesterol-Caring Molecules
- Cholesterol Study offers Hope for a Bold Therapy
- Study of Two Cholesterol Drugs Finds One Halts Heart Disease
- New Conclusions on Cholesterol
- F.D.A. Calls Ads For Cholesterol Pill Crestor "False and Misleading"
- Two studies Suggest a Protein Has a Big Role in Heart Disease
- A Quandary in Good News
- Cholesterol Drug Linked to a Death
- Mixed Reviews for 2 of Pfizer's Top Drugs
- Abilities: The Smart Side of Cholesterol
- Low Cholesterol? Don't Brag Quite Yet
- Mixed Safety Results on Cholesterol Drug
- Know Your Numbers and Improve Your Odds
- Vital Signs: Testing; With Decaf, Lose the Jitters, but Gain the Gunk?
- Be Merry, Not Ancient
- Value of Cholesterol Targets is Disputed
- One for the Ages: A Prescription That May Extend Life
- Yes, Red Wine Holds Answer, Check Dosage
(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).