- Unemployment 40.6% (2010 est.): 188 out of about 200 countries
- Under five mortality as a result of waterborne illness: 16%
- No Haitian city has a functioning sewage system
- Urban households with water supply: 52%; Rural 26%
- Schooling expense per family: US $109 per year
In December, as our small contribution to alleviate the above conditions and 2010's devastating 7.0 earthquake, about 600 Irish Haven and Habitat Jimmy Carter volunteers slept and coughed in crowded tents, while sweating days building the second annual 100 Habitat homes (of planned 250) in Leogane, Haiti. Google Habitat Haiti for more.
Considering the wrath of climate change coming down earth's pipeline and the seething needs of the world's poor, such efforts are far from enough. If you think it's wise to have a new peaceful army that works daily to address such needs, Google People's Lobby's American World Service Corps Congressional (AWSC) Proposal , and let Congress know they should develop enough vision to build it.