Send a Tweet
Most Popular Choices
Share on Facebook 10 Share on Twitter Printer Friendly Page More Sharing
Exclusive to OpEd News:
OpEdNews Op Eds    H3'ed 1/19/10

"Viceroy" Holbrooke furious with Pakistani parliamentarians on US drone attacks

By       (Page 1 of 3 pages)   1 comment
Message Abdus Sattar Ghazali
Become a Fan
  (1 fan)

The US special envoy for Pakistan and Afghanistan, Richard Holbrooke, met in Lahore last Friday with a number of Pakistani parliamentarians as US drone missiles were attacking targets in North Waziristan killing at least 11 people. It was the ninth drone attack so far this year to be carried out by the US drones.

Holbrooke was furious when parliamentarians demanded that the drone attacks should be stopped as they were causing massive civilian casualties and creating bad image for the United States.

Holbrooke was once nicknamed "the Bulldozer" for his role in the 1995 Dayton peace accords that ended three years of war in Bosnia. Holbrooke has long served as one of the most ruthless American diplomat and perhaps he is testing his skills in his role as US envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Not surprisingly he is called "American Viceroy of Pakistan" by many media outlets in Pakistan.

His furious response to the criticism of US policy was that Pakistanis are ungrateful people.

Holbrooke said the US was making sincere efforts for the wellbeing of the underprivileged people of Pakistan which are not being admitted by the Pakistanis. He was alluding to the 7.5 billion dollars US pledged to Pakistan in the next five years.

The US aid is attached by humiliating conditions imposed unilaterally on the country despite protests even by the Pakistani Parliament. Also, there is a general perception in Pakistan that 80% of any US aid goes back to US in the form of expert advice etc and the rest 20% lands in the pockets of government's functionaries. There are now popular demands by media and politicians that the US-installed Zardari government should reject the US aid package attached with capitulating terms.

Holbrooke's visit to Pakistan came at a time when relations between Washington and Islamabad are witnessing signs of strains on the activities of US diplomats and US contractors.

Next Page  1  |  2  |  3

(Note: You can view every article as one long page if you sign up as an Advocate Member, or higher).

Rate It | View Ratings

Abdus Sattar Ghazali Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Author and journalist. Author of Islamic Pakistan: Illusions & Reality; Islam in the Post-Cold War Era; Islam & Modernism; Islam & Muslims in the Post-9/11 America. Currently working as free lance journalist. Executive Editor of American (more...)
 
Go To Commenting
The views expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of this website or its editors.
Writers Guidelines

 
Contact AuthorContact Author Contact EditorContact Editor Author PageView Authors' Articles
Support OpEdNews

OpEdNews depends upon can't survive without your help.

If you value this article and the work of OpEdNews, please either Donate or Purchase a premium membership.

STAY IN THE KNOW
If you've enjoyed this, sign up for our daily or weekly newsletter to get lots of great progressive content.
Daily Weekly     OpEd News Newsletter
Name
Email
   (Opens new browser window)
 

Most Popular Articles by this Author:     (View All Most Popular Articles by this Author)

American Muslims alarmed at the new profiling policy

American Muslims Seven Years after 9/11

The plight of prisoner No. 650 (Dr. Afia Siddiqui)

Arab Americans Continue to Face Discrimination: Report

Reinforcing prejudice, stereotyping

Redrawing the map of Afghanistan, Iran & Pakistan

To View Comments or Join the Conversation:

Tell A Friend