A dramatic geo-political realignment by Saudi Arabia is in full swing this month. It’s upending many decades of established strategic relationships among the world's superpowers and, in particular, is throwing the Middle East into turmoil.The main elements currently in play are these:
- A sudden and intense purging of powerful Saudi insiders (arrests, deaths, & asset seizures)
- + Huge changes in domestic policy and strategy
- + A shift away from the US in all respects (politically, financially and militarily)
- + Deepening ties to China
- + A surprising turn towards Russia (economically and militarily)
- + Increasing cooperation and alignment with Israel (the enemy of my enemy is my friend?)
Taken together, this is tectonic change happening at blazing speed.