Share on Facebook 4 Share on Twitter Printer Friendly Page More Sharing
General News    H4'ed 6/21/19

Unsanitary conditions at Loma Linda medical center may have led to rise in potentially fatal infections, VA says

Quicklink Submitted By     (# of views)   8 comments
Message Stephen Fox

The Medical Inspector launched a investigation into whistleblowers’ complaints and made a visit to the hospital from July 9-13, 2018. Federal investigators reviewed data from Pettis Medical Center for 2017 and 2018 and found 33 positive results for Legionella. 64 individual tests were conducted in wards, intensive-care units, operating rooms and other inpatient rooms. 9  tested positive for Legionella, with one room testing positive twice in September and once in October 2017. All positive tests were on the hot water outlet in the sink, the report says. Hospital officials informed the nurse manager of the Legionella, patients were relocated to different rooms and the sink was removed. Doctors were kept in the dark for months about Legionella bacteria lurking in the water system. In 2018, the VA gave the hospital a 1-star rating, the lowest possible performance.

Read the rest of the story HERE:

At www.pe.com

Rate It | View Ratings

Stephen Fox Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Early in the 2016 Primary campaign, I started a Facebook group: Bernie Sanders: Advice and Strategies to Help Him Win! As the primary season advanced, we shifted the focus to advancing Bernie's legislation in the Senate, particularly the most (more...)

Comments

The time limit for entering new comments on this quicklink has expired.

David Pear

Become a Fan Follow Me on Twitter

(Member since Nov 29, 2014), 47 fans, 75 articles, 329 quicklinks, 3417 comments
Facebook Page Twitter Page Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

I do not know the story, so I cannot comment on its accuracy, and I will not make excuses for wrongdoing.

That said, I hate to see the VA headlined for problems that are widespread throughout the healthcare industry.

"Legionnaires' disease is still 'widespread' in hospitals, CDC study finds".

The VA is the best healthcare system in the country. Study after study shows that the VA produces better outcome at a lower cost. It is much better than Medicare, which still relies on private providers.

Since the capitalist system is not against private healthcare, we seldom hear about the tens of thousand of people who die in private hospitals because of malpractice and mistakes.

I am a disabled veteran and I love my VA health care. I always make a point of asking other patients how they like the VA and well over 90% (probably 99%) have no complaint.

I always ask the doctors and nurses how they like working at the vA and I have only had one nurse that said she was dissatisfied, and one doctor complain about the bureaucracy. Almost all the doctors say that they like practicing medicine where they can do so without the financial pressure.

As for the quality of doctors, I trust my life to them. They bring in specialists from the private sector if they need to.

The VA is great and I have been procrastinating for a long time on writing an article about them. All my energy goes into anti-war, and that is why I haven't. I would love to write about a lot of domestic issues, but stopping these wars is just too important to me.

Please do not let them destroy the VA.

Submitted on Friday, Jun 21, 2019 at 4:59:01 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

Stephen Fox

(Member since Jan 21, 2007), 34 fans, 433 articles, 533 quicklinks, 3196 comments, 14 diaries
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to David Pear:   New Content

Thanks for your insightful comment.

It is news, no matter how you spin it. Legionnaire bacteria are nothing to sweep under the rug, even at a highly respected medical center like Loma Linda.

The Future -- 50th Anniversary of the Cloverleaf Towers Loma Linda University Medical Center's 50th anniversary celebration took place on Sunday, August 27. It was a time to reflect on the institutions past and look ...
(Image by YouTube, Channel: LLUHealth)
Details DMCA

Submitted on Friday, Jun 21, 2019 at 6:25:59 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

David Pear

Become a Fan Follow Me on Twitter

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Stephen Fox:   New Content

I agree with you Stephen. If there was wrongdoing then whoever is responsible at the VA should be held accountable.

I guess you are going to force me to write an article, because the VA is constantly under attack so that it can be privatized.

I just cannot tell you how conscientious the VA is. How first class the medical treatment is. How modern. And they stress feedback. I get a survey after every visit. There is an inspector general that I can go to with complaints. I can request a different doctor, which I have only done once. I can go to any VA facility in the world and they have all of my records on their computer and know my history, meds, etc.

I have no dedutaibles or copays. If I am sick I can go to the ER 24/7 and they triage and treat it, and then refer to a clinic, specialist or primary care doc. I have never run an abnormal wait or know anybody who has.

The VAis now building additional facilities so that everybody can have a private hospital room to conform with HIPA codes. Actually, I am not sure I like that. As it is now their are 4 patients to a room, and because of that the nurse and staff are almost constantly there so I don't need to ring a bell and wait while someone gets around to answering it.

Well, I am passionate about the VA. How many people can say that about their healthcare program?

Submitted on Friday, Jun 21, 2019 at 7:57:13 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

IndentIndentIndent

Alexander Kershaw

(Member since Nov 25, 2014), 3 fans, 370 comments
Not paid member and Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to David Pear:   New Content

I met a German doctor who was part of an international team that evaluated the American medical system. The US has a 4 level system. Fee for service where the patient pays for care and medications. Private insurance that covers lcare and drugs with copays. Medicare A & B that covers hospitals doctors and drugs but at an expense. The VA is a totoally socialist system. The government owns the facilities and pays the staff and most of the patients get totally free care.

The team determined that the VA was far and away the best system. It had the worst cases and had the best outcomes. Kaiser Permanente came in a distant second. Pear's comments generally explains why. People start on a track to become doctors and nurses for altruistic reasons. At the VA they can do the job they were trained to do with out consulting with an insurance company or checking the patients ability to pay. When the team took their results to DC they reception was less than warm. The doctor said he felt like he was talking to brick walls. The idea that a socialist system could out perform the market generated system by so much was something they could not digest. There was no where that information could be mentally stored without causing severe cognitive disonance. He thought their brains were going to explode.

My market fundamentalist, Reagan loving brother in law, a Viet Vet swears that the VA has the best doctors in the country. Even he and my sister would probably object to the VA's privatization.

Write your article and include it in your anti-war activism and when you go to town hall meetings be sure and speak about it. The parasites on Wall Street want the VA and Social Security. and they never sleep .

Submitted on Friday, Jun 21, 2019 at 10:04:56 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndentIndent

David Pear

Become a Fan Follow Me on Twitter

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Alexander Kershaw:   New Content

Thank you Alexander, I appreciate your testimonial.

Submitted on Saturday, Jun 22, 2019 at 12:18:22 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

Brenda Schouten-Beckett

(Member since Sep 11, 2016), 7 fans, 835 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to David Pear:   New Content

Alexander said it beautifully. We need you to weigh in on this and we need an article that's worth sharing. This one isn't but the comments are really important.

Submitted on Saturday, Jun 22, 2019 at 8:27:30 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

Stephen Fox

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Brenda Schouten-Beckett:   New Content
You see, Brenda, it is called NEWS. The only paper to write about this at all was the San Bernardino Sun. Maybe you should castigate the Riverside Enterprise or the Redlands Daily Facts, since they ignored the news item.

Submitted on Saturday, Jun 22, 2019 at 2:30:18 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

IndentIndentIndent

Stephen Fox

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to David Pear:   New Content

Glad you said this: "because the VA is constantly under attack so that it can be privatized."

That speaks volumes and that is the key thing, not just another defense of what I have heard is a continually mixed up system. I am glad you spoke up and might have thus changed my perception.

Your stature as an editor at OEN adds enormous credibility.

FUBAR is the precisely appropriate military term, I believe; but, I never served: I was a Vietnam era draft dodger until they made me 4F because of my very flat feet.

Submitted on Saturday, Jun 22, 2019 at 12:09:07 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Want to post your own comment on this Quicklink? Post Comment