Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Reddit Tell A Friend Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite View Favorites
Best Web OpEds

Two Imminent Existential Threats. Noam Chomsky: Moral Depravity

Quicklink Submitted By       Message David Watts     Permalink    (# of views)   10 comments

Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; , Add Tags

Must Read 4   Valuable 3   Supported 1

From flickr.com: Aurora Borealis, the colored lights seen in the skies around the North Pole, the Northern Lights, from Bear Lake, Alaska {MID-332642}
(Image by Beverly & Pack)
  Permission   Details   DMCA

Humanity faces two imminent existential threats: environmental catastrophe and nuclear war. These were virtually ignored in the campaign rhetoric and general coverage. There was plenty of criticism of the Trump administration, but scarcely a word about by far the most ominous positions the administration has taken: increasing the already dire threat of nuclear war, and racing to destroy the physical environment that organized human society needs in order to survive.

These are the most critical and urgent questions that have arisen in all of human history. The fact that they scarcely arose in the campaign is truly stunning — and carries some important, if unpleasant, lessons about our moral and intellectual culture.

I found this article from a link in an article by Patrick Walker.  I thought this article deserves to be posted on its own.  Thanks Patrick.

Read the rest of the story HERE:

At truthout.org

Must Read 4   Valuable 3   Supported 1

I'm a dull and simple lad Cannot tell water from champagne

David Watts Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Comments Image Post Quicklink Comment

These discussions are not moderated. We rely on users to police themselves, and flag inappropriate comments and behavior. In accordance with our Guidelines and Policies, we reserve the right to remove any post at any time for any reason, and will restrict access of registered users who repeatedly violate our terms.

• OpEdNews welcomes lively, CIVIL discourse. Personal attacks and/or hate speech are not tolerated and may result in banning.
  • Comments should relate to the content above. Irrelevant, off-topic comments are a distraction, and will be removed.
  • By submitting this comment, you agree to all OpEdNews rules, guidelines and policies.
Connect with Facebook     Connect with Twitter            Register with Facebook     Register with Twitter

Comment:

You can enter 2000 characters. To remove limit, please click here.

Please login or register. Afterwards, your comment will be published.

Username
Password

Forgot your password? Click here and we will send an email to the address you used when you registered.
First Name
Last Name

I am at least 16 years of age
(make sure username & password are filled in. Note that username must be an email address.)

3 people are discussing this page, with 10 comments  Post Comment

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 11 fans, 1451 comments
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

I like Chomsky, though as with C. Hedges, I wonder about the silence around 9/11. Guess they don't want to be killed.

I maintain that the fall of the U.S. is a planned segment of the rising U.N./NATO One-World-Gov't. Most of the 'moral depravity' cited by Chomsky has been a long time effort to divide and conquer; fear, fear, fear.

Agenda21/2030; Sustainable Development; articial intelligence; H.R. 1268 (ID cards); proviso law against criticizing Israel; omnipresent surveillance; militarized everything.

GHW Bush spoke of the new order, stating (paraphrased) "...when we succeed, and we will,...."

That lizard may be dead, but the plan isn't.

Millions of people are waking up to the game. Millions aren't. The call is for non-compliance, civil disobedience, and Courage.

Thinking: The Kali Yuga, the Book of Revelation, Native American prophecies, the Mayan calendar, The Matrix, The Hunger Games, Eyes Wide Shut. The Jesuits, the bankers.

David Icke, Mark Passio, Max Igan, and many more are the Paul Reveres.

I can't guess the outcome, except that it will be painful for all but the psychopaths. Lots of people happy to see it coming. Don't understand that attitude at all.

My hope: "Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Always."
"" Mahatma Gandhi

Submitted on Wednesday, Dec 5, 2018 at 1:32:57 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 11 fans, 1451 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

"I'm rightly tired of the pain I hear and feel, boss. I'm tired of bein on the road, lonely as a robin in the rain. Not never havin no buddy to go on with or tell me where we's comin from or goin to or why. I'm tired of people bein ugly to each other. It feels like pieces of glass in my head. I'm tired of all the times I've wanted to help and couldn't. I'm tired of bein in the dark. Mostly it's the pain. There's too much. If I could end it, I would. But I can't."
"" Stephen King, The Green Mile

Submitted on Wednesday, Dec 5, 2018 at 1:38:55 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

David Watts

(Member since Jan 31, 2008), 10 fans, 11 articles, 22 quicklinks, 1524 comments, 27 diaries

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

Excellent comment.

"Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Always." Mahatma Gandhi

I am thinking this time will be different. I am afraid that if and when the current tyrants fall, they will bring everything else down with them too.

Submitted on Wednesday, Dec 5, 2018 at 1:45:41 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 11 fans, 1451 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

I know, David Watts, I know. For me it feels different now, too. That's why I added the second quote. The world makes me tired.

As Chomsky notes, the two catastrophes we face, climate and nuclear, are game enders. Not like that piddly ol' WWII (sarcasm). Men (or whatever they are) now have the capacity to end all life on this planet. Seems like that's what they want; and maybe they'll get it.

Life here has always been a crap shoot. Maybe it'll be a reset like the Great Flood. Or Atlantis. Maybe some good humans will survive in this world and start all over again. Maybe we'll go to another galaxy.

Maybe death is not the end. I wish I knew. It's tricky balancing hope and despair every day, isn't it? :)

Submitted on Wednesday, Dec 5, 2018 at 4:11:38 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

I don't know Janet. Is there really enough hope to balance against despair?

The title of Al Gore's book fits what we are up against. We and all life here live on an Earth in the Balance. The balance is tipping very far in the wrong direction... Is it too late? I don't know, but I do have a very strong opinion.

Submitted on Wednesday, Dec 5, 2018 at 5:38:59 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (3+)

IndentIndentIndentIndent

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 11 fans, 1451 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

I think it depends on what you're hoping for.

If I hope this heaving ship rights itself before it sinks completely, despair looms large.

If I hope the killing stops and children don't suffer anymore, despair engulfs me.

If I hope to wake up tomorrow morning and see Packy wagging her tail at me, chances, tho' not certain, are pretty good. I'll take that. For now.

And I'll still care and try and be glad and sad at the same time.

Submitted on Wednesday, Dec 5, 2018 at 6:05:56 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (2+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

Your best friend Packy makes it all worthwhile. When you find yourself being sad, give Packy a treat, watch her wag her tail, and see her smile back at you. You will feel better. I know you will. :)

Submitted on Wednesday, Dec 5, 2018 at 6:23:47 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 11 fans, 1451 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

Feeling better is brief and notable. I want you to feel better, too! :)

Submitted on Wednesday, Dec 5, 2018 at 7:22:13 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

IndentIndentIndentIndent

Kenneth Johnson

(Member since Jun 24, 2014), 17 fans, 12 articles, 9 quicklinks, 2803 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

In 1973 Roman Gabriel was named the NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

Sometimes I forget that I'm so old that few will even remember back that far, especially someone as forever young as David Watts.

Point: Now the Rams are the comeback kids. So there is hope.

Submitted on Wednesday, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:29:12 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

IndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

David Watts

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Kenneth Johnson:   New Content

Just checked. The Rams are 11-1!! That Fearsome Foursome seems to never grow old. :)

Submitted on Thursday, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:45:18 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Want to post your own comment on this Quicklink? Post Comment