Share on Facebook 4 Share on Twitter Printer Friendly Page More Sharing
Best Web OpEds

The Canaries that Sang "Things Suck"

Quicklink Submitted By     (# of views)   5 comments
Follow Me on Twitter     Message Edward Curtin

This article delves into the American use of words such as 'suck' to reveal the truth about America's politicians and recent American history.  It is darkly funny and true in bringing up forgotten aspects of our history, skewing all of America's recent presidents.

Read the rest of the story HERE:

At www.globalresearch.ca

Rate It | View Ratings

Edward Curtin Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter Page       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Educated in the classics, philosophy, literature, theology, and sociology, I am a former professor of sociology. My writing on varied topics has appeared widely over many years. I write as a public intellectual for the general public, not (more...)

Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; , Add Tags

Comments

The time limit for entering new comments on this quicklink has expired.

Janet Supriano

(Member since Oct 7, 2013), 12 fans, 1864 comments
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Wow, this is a great piece of writing. It is an art to paint such sadness in a funny way. Thanks for sharing it.

Submitted on Tuesday, Aug 6, 2019 at 3:33:08 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

Edward Curtin

(Member since Jun 15, 2014), 18 fans, 126 articles, 13 quicklinks, 235 comments
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter Page Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Janet Supriano:   New Content

Glad you liked it, Janet.

Submitted on Tuesday, Aug 6, 2019 at 6:31:50 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (1+)

David Watts

(Member since Jan 31, 2008), 13 fans, 19 articles, 26 quicklinks, 2206 comments, 27 diaries

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

What convinced me that Obama and trump ain't very smart is that they both think whistle-blowers suck, which if you think about it, makes no sense.

This article brought back a bad period in my childhood. I came in last place in every balloon-blowing contest I was ever in. Coming in last place did not bother me as much as every other kid telling me I suck. It was a number of years before I realized the kids were right, they were just letting me know I was doing it all wrong. I should have figured it out sooner than that though, after the docs had to suck a ballon out of my left lung.

I was not very good at living and learning; kind of like not very good at sucking and blowing. I have to remind myself often that I can't be good at everything. And, it be what it be...

Another thing. Bob Dylan wrote a lot of good songs but there was one I thought was pretty stupid; Blowin' in the Wind. I remember Phil Ochs saying that is kind of like ... pissin' in a fan.

Maybe that is why they did not get along so well.

Submitted on Wednesday, Aug 7, 2019 at 1:15:56 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Edward Curtin

(Member since Jun 15, 2014), 18 fans, 126 articles, 13 quicklinks, 235 comments

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to David Watts:   New Content

David,

That Ochs' quote is priceless. And thanks for the childhood anecdote. Balloons probably cause many childhood accidents. Ed

Submitted on Wednesday, Aug 7, 2019 at 8:39:48 AM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

David Watts

Add this Page to Facebook! Submit to Twitter Share on LinkedIn Submit to Reddit

Reply to Edward Curtin:   New Content

Edward,

I should be clear. I just made up that Ochs' quote but you probably knew that. So don't go around quoting Phil Ochs saying what I said he said. And you probably also know I never had to have a balloon sucked from my left lung. I was just having fun coming up with stuff about your sucky article. :)

I just happened to come up with my quote for Phil Ochs when I was trying to think of something using "blow" in addition to "suck." Then, I thought of "Blowin' in the Wind." And then I said aha! Bob Dylan! And then I said aha! Phil Ochs! And then I knew I had it; I knew something Edward will get a kick out of since I have read some things you have written about Phil Ochs. The one that got my head spinning was about Ochs being in Dealey Plaza the day "they" took JFK from us. That is something I still have trouble processing. In that article you wrote about the song Crucifixion.

Janet (Supriano), after listening to both Crucifixion and Canons of Christianity, is a heartfelt fan of Phil Ochs.

Phil's lyrics I remember often listening to in college,

I'm a quarter of a century old
But I'm half a century high

Submitted on Wednesday, Aug 7, 2019 at 5:16:39 PM

Share Comment
Reply To This   Recommend  (0+)

Want to post your own comment on this Quicklink? Post Comment