Poll Analyses
Share on Facebook 9 Share on Twitter Printer Friendly Page More Sharing
Life Arts    H4'ed 2/1/20

Mark Zuckerberg talks about his mistakes, his goals and his newfound spirituality at tech summit

Message Stephen Fox

When asked about who he seeks out for mentorship, Zuckerberg had a response that got a round of applause from the Utah audience.

“The last few years have been really humbling for me,” Zuckerberg said. “I’ve become more religious.”

Zuckerberg also offered some insight into where he sees the world of social media evolving in the coming years. He noted that while tools like Facebook and Instagram — which his company also owns — are great at creating digital public spaces that he likened to virtual “town squares,” it’s the private communications arenas that are ripe for further evolution.

“When I look at our private social apps today, it’s pretty much just texting,” Zuckerberg said. “And, I think when you fast-forward, it’s not how it’s going to be in the future.”

Read the rest of the story HERE:

At www.deseret.com

Rate It | View Ratings

Stephen Fox Social Media Pages: Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in       Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in       Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in       Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Early in the 2016 Primary campaign, I started a Facebook group: Bernie Sanders: Advice and Strategies to Help Him Win! As the primary season advanced, we shifted the focus to advancing Bernie's legislation in the Senate, particularly the most (more...)

Related Topic(s): ; , Add Tags

Comments

The time limit for entering new comments on this quicklink has expired.

Al Hirschfield

(Member since Jan 20, 2019), 18 articles, 73 quicklinks, 192 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

It sounds like he's smart enough to realize that a huge percentage of his users came to hate his guts over these past few "humbling years", and did what most high powered people in his position tend to do under those circumstances: hire a PR firm to "humanize" his public image. But will he adopt changes in Facebook's business plan which will compromise their profits and/or market share for the benefit of mankind? Not in any meaningful and/or substantive way, no matter how "likable" his PR firm succeeds in making him seem.

But as Machiavelli pointed out, it may not really matter, because, "They will not see how you are, just how you seem."

Submitted on Saturday, Feb 1, 2020 at 7:39:53 PM

Recommend  (1+)

Stephen Fox

(Member since Jan 21, 2007), 32 fans, 492 articles, 937 quicklinks, 3631 comments, 14 diaries (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)

Reply to Al Hirschfield:   New Content
Thank you for your insightful and probably accurate assessment.

l have gone round and round vis a vis Facebook; I have been in Facebook Jail 41 times and no one from their algorithm robot team has ever said why, nor ever one pointed to a clear rule that I might have broken. I think Facebook likes to keep its "rules" in a hidden opaque gray area, for what reasons I don't know and can't even imagine.

Maybe there is a secret clue in their corporate address?

[1 Hacker Way, San Mateo, California]

Submitted on Saturday, Feb 1, 2020 at 8:30:18 PM

Recommend  (0+)

Al Hirschfield

Reply to Stephen Fox:   New Content

I actually stopped using Facebook a couple of years ago because my Guru said it was a waste of time. I find an infinitely better pastime (if one actually can't find a good book to read or piece of music to listen to) is watch one of the Great Courses lectures, which now is streaming on TV and the Internet (for a nominal fee). One day I'd like to write something for OEN about this amazing "enterprise". But I don't want to give the impression I have transcended American pop culture altogether: I do plan to finally see "Joker" at my neighborhood theater in about ten minutes...

Submitted on Saturday, Feb 1, 2020 at 8:45:22 PM

Recommend  (1+)
IndentIndentIndent

Stephen Fox

Reply to Al Hirschfield:   New Content
MY guru, the deceased M.K. Gandhi, continues to advise me to stay with Facebook, not for entertainment or, as you put it, "pastime, "not at all, but because it allows me to put OpEdNews articles by me and by others out to over one million people in Facebook groups.

After all, this little brown man with the four pillars of his philosophy overthrew the British Empire, with the longest colonial reign in Human History.

Submitted on Sunday, Feb 2, 2020 at 10:17:28 AM

Recommend  (0+)
IndentIndentIndentIndent

Al Hirschfield

Reply to Stephen Fox:   New Content

It's nice to see the Mahatma is still up and around. I've kinda missed him... But are you sure the posts are going out to one million or so people? I'm not aware of the average article at OEN being viewed by more than a thousand folks (in general) and the average Quicklink a few hundred (which is still pretty good for a political blog...).

Submitted on Sunday, Feb 2, 2020 at 12:26:12 PM

Recommend  (0+)
IndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

Stephen Fox

Reply to Al Hirschfield:   New Content
The groups membership clearly exceed 1 million. That is different from how many actually read the entire article, or how many read my summaries. I have close to 2 million page views here at OEN, including both articles and Quicklinks.

If they are meant to read, or want to after coming across it, so be it.

Submitted on Sunday, Feb 2, 2020 at 8:07:53 PM

Recommend  (0+)
IndentIndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

Al Hirschfield

Reply to Stephen Fox:   New Content

Well good luck with that and tally ho!

Submitted on Sunday, Feb 2, 2020 at 8:16:32 PM

Recommend  (0+)
IndentIndentIndentIndent

Tom Calarco

(Member since Aug 29, 2016), 82 comments (How many times has this commenter been recommended?)
Not paid member and Facebook page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Twitter page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Linkedin page url on login Profile not filled in Not paid member and Instagram page url on login Profile not filled in

Reply to Stephen Fox:   New Content

Stephen:

How do you get these articles to all those Facebook groups? I myself have posted some OEN articles on my FB page, which has a couple thousand Bernie supporters. But since I am considering posting here and other places, I'd like to know how you do it?

Submitted on Sunday, Feb 2, 2020 at 10:13:11 PM

Recommend  (0+)
IndentIndentIndentIndentIndent

Stephen Fox

Reply to Tom Calarco:   New Content
Join as many groups as you can. That is 90% of it, easy to post to them.

Further, I think asking to serve as a moderator is a good thing also.

I think targeting certain states is the best approach, otherwise it is just a big cheering section. For example, I live in Santa Fe, but am Admin for South Dakota for Bernie Sanders. No one else apparently wanted the job.

There are several in Utah which I recommend to you above all, one is SLC Bernie Supporters. Also groups with PROGRESSIVE in the title are excellent, in general.

I am in more than 1000 groups, but only 125 are relevant to my slice of politics. I started a couple of groups also.

Bernie Sanders: Advice and Strategies to Win in 2020 is one, and a new one: