Gun Violence Prevention 101 | ThinkProgressQuicklink submitted By Susan Lee Schwartz Permalink
|ThinkProgress' Annie-Rose Strasser breaks down everything you need to know about the president's plan:
1. Making background checks universal
2. Improving state reporting of criminals and the mentally ill.
3. Banning assault weapons
4. Capping magazine clip capacity at 10 bullets.
5. Purging armor-piercing bullets.
6. Funding police officers.
7. Strengthening gun tracking:
8. Supporting research on gun violence: restart research, which has been long blocked by the National Rifle Association, on how video games, the media, and violence affect violent gun crimes.
9. Encouraging mental health providers involvement
10. Promoting safe gun ownership.
11. Funding school counseling.
12. Encouraging safe, anti-bullying school environments
BOTTOM LINE: Now is the time for Congress to pass common-sense legislation that protects our families from needless gun violence.