Senior military and defense officials are investigating reports that scores of civilians — potentially nearly 200 — were killed in a U.S. airstrike in the Iraqi city of Mosul last week. Local officials and residents said Thursday that dozens of people were buried in collapsed buildings after the air raid in the al-Aghawat al-Jadidah district triggered a huge explosion, according to Reuters. CENTCOM said initial review of the strike data for the week of March 16-23 detailed that coalition forces had struck ISIS fighters and equipment on March 17 in western Mosul, at the location corresponding to the reports of the civilian casualties. Iraqi Security Forces requested a review of the data. The United Nations expressed profound concern on Saturday over the reports.
Read the rest of the story HERE:
Sheila Samples is an Oklahoma writer and a former civilian US Army Public Information Officer. She is a Managing Editor for OpEd News, and a regular contributor for a variety of Internet sites.
|The views expressed herein are the sole responsibility of the author
and do not necessarily reflect those of this website or its editors.