Highlights of Garfunkel’s statement, follows:
- I never wanted to gain an influence on the public through my songs, and then use it for my politics. It’s bait and switch.
- Xenophobia (fear of different people) is the issue of the 21st Century (said Bill Clinton to me backstage). We reach beyond nationalism — don’t I sing for ALL hearts and minds.
- But after 9/11 I realized that I truly love my America and quest for an identity with my fellow Americans.
- Almost 50 years ago I professed my love in a melodic suspension that soars at the end of our song, “America.”
- I wanted my arrangement to be urgent, reaching, yearning, shining, and full of glory, full of my love for this country.
- Now I believe the monied interests have gone too far and have rigged the system.