Broadcast 8/26/2019 at 12:53 PM EDT (11 Listens, 6 Downloads, 2446 Itunes)
The Rob Kall Bottom Up Radio Show Podcast
|Copyright © Rob Kall, All Rights Reserved. Do not duplicate or post on youtube or other sites without express permission. Creative commons permissions for this site do not apply to audio content or transcripts of audio content.|
Darcia Narvaez and Four Arrows, among the co-authors of an incredible new book, Indigenous Sustainable Wisdom: First-Nation Know-how for Global Flourishing
Darcia Narvaez is PROFESSOR OF PSYCHOLOGY, NOTRE DAME, UNIVERSITY, AUTHOR OF NEUROBIOLOGY AND THE DEVELOPMENT OF HUMAN MORALITY: EVOLUTION, CULTURE AND WISDOM. She also has a blog at psychology today.
FOUR ARROWS, AKA DON TRENT JACOBS, PHD, EDD, AUTHOR OF UNLEARNING THE LANGUAGE OF CONQUEST AND TEACHING TRULY: A CURRICULUM TO INDIGENIZE MAINSTREAM EDUCATION.
Heres the link for the book.
Indigenous Wisdom has much to teach US: Darcia Narvaez and Four Arrows A fascinating discussion of how westerners have much to learn from indigenous, Native American and First Nation wisdom. In fact what we have to learn is ...
(Image by YouTube, Channel: Opednews.com Progressive News and Opinion) Details DMCA
Notes before and during the interview
What was the goal of the book?
What is the difference between the western and the indigenous worldview
Robert Redfield summarized the answer:
Ancient worldview considers the cosmos to be unified, sared and moral.
Recent worldview considers cosmos fragmented, disenchanged, amoral. , sense so of separation from and superiority to nature.
Worldview change, not tech or science, is the only way we are going to be able to pull out of this.
We need decolonizing and re-indigenizing as they are doing in Canada.
False narrative of continued progress with civilization ,rooted in domination of nature and technological progress"unsustainable
Four Arrows wrote novel, Last Song Of The Whales
Until we can refer to our natural resources as our relatives, we cant solve our problems.
Shows an inverse relationship between financial wealth and well-being
Decline in quality of life in human populations in the last 10,000 years. " a necessary collateral damage or price of progress
False belief that humanity lived in conditions of brutality and savagery
Four Arrows and Darcia Narvaez
Tried to get the pope to repudiate the Doctrine of discovery, as UN Indigenous rights document did, which is signed by over 190 nations
The Cogi people of Columbia contacted the BBC in 1990: Great mother has taught us.
Four Arrows: Twin Hero stories"solar and lunar twins balance each other out.
Derrick Jensen suggests referring to current era as the sociopocene
Personhood was removed from all but humans (corporations) Nature became a commodity
Western science, tech, economics advocate for detachment from the earth, breaking bonds of relational responsibility to other-than-humans who are treated as objects.
Western Expansionism and global control have impaired capacities to perceive alternatives to current pathway.
Western beliefs of individualism, human superiority and sparation from nature appear odd, rare and even aberrant when considerd from perspective of the history of human cultures.
Most societies in the history of the world would consider individual self-interest assumed to be normal human nature in most of the West"to be profoundly destructive and even a sign of insanity.
Indigenous worldview can provide a portal to global flourishing. .. through gift economy
Broken pathway to adulthood
When species typical nest is missing, individuals misdevelop, dysregulation explains in part the soulessness of European invaders and the comnpetitive detachment that characterizes industrialized culture.
Clam harvesting story
Book Goals (page)
Matriarchal gift economies
How do we transition from capitalism to gift economy.
How do we change minds.
Tranced based learning through ceremony protects indigenous people from authoritarianism.
The greatest expression of courage is generosity.
Build the neurobiology of connection
Suggest books from Narvaez:
Calvin Luther Martin: The Way of Being Human
Rupert Ross: books on circles of healing
Four arrows"story of the cat and the fawn: FAWN Fear, Authority, Words and Nature"study them all
Unused pre-interview notes
Mother-lode mentality of capitalism and ccolonizatioin
Native vs Western development of senses (bottom up nature intelligence
Tlingit principles and relational stability
Indigeneous, sustainable spirituality,
Immersion in nature,
State of disconnect
Spikins: Rather than competition, individualiy and control of nature"humble relationship with each other and nature
1. People and Planet in Need of Sustainable Wisdom 1 Darcia Narvaez, Four Arrows, Eugene Halton, Brian S Collier andGeorges Enderle
Section 1. Understanding Humanitys Past 25
2. Conversations with the Deep Past: What Can AncientHunter-Gatherers Tell Us about Sustainable Wisdom? 27 Penny Spikins
3. Indigenous Bodies, Civilized Selves, and the Escapefrom the Earth 47 Eugene Halton
4. Rematriating Economics: The Gift Economy of WoodlandsMatriarchies 74 Barbara Alice Mann
5. Original Practices for Becoming and Being Human 90 Darcia Narvaez
VIII | CONTENTS
Section 2. Ways of Doing Science and Relating To Nature 111
6. Plants, Native Science and Indigenous Sustainability 113 Gregory A. Cajete
7. Mother Earth vs. Mother Lode: Native EnvironmentalEthos, Sustainability, and Human Survival 131 Bruce E. Johansen
Section 3. Ways of Being Human 151
8. Spiritual Relations, Moral Obligations andExistential Continuity: The Structure and Transmissionof Tlingit Principles and Practices of Sustainable Wisdom 153 Steve J. Langdon
9. Sustainable Wisdom and Truthfulness: An IndigenousSpiritual Perspective 183 Four Arrows (Wahinkpe Topa), aka Don Trent Jacobs
10. Listening to the Trees 201 Tom McCallum
Section 4. Steps Toward Integrated Futures 217
11. Connection Modeling: Metrics for DeepNature-Connection, Mentoring, and Culture Repair 219 Jon Young
12. Wisdom, Sustainability, Dignity, and theIntellectual Shaman 244 Sandra Waddock
13. For a Tattered Planet: Art and Tribal Continuance 265 Kimberly Blaeser
Size: 83,606,383 -- 0 hrs, 58 min, 0 sec