Women Want A Long-term Anti-poverty Program
Creating development means creating goods and services of greater value. So now we want to talk not about wealth creation, but about human rights and freedom.
I agree that all countries, including the US, deal with other countries in ways that promote the economic interests of groups of people in their own country. If that means promoting democratic regimes, or promoting values, or promoting freedom, then that is what is done.
If we study the history of development and poverty, we will find that western farm surpluses are caused mostly by productivity improvements caused by advances in farm machinery and crop chemistry (fertilizers, pesticides, etc.). "In the US that translates to 3% of the population feeding the other 97% and having lots more food left over to feed millions around the world.
However, longer and healthier lives, when coupled with improved education and foreign investment in local industries can contribute to greater productivity in the countries and thereby improve their development standards. India and Indonesia are good examples of how it can work," N. Penasack recently said to me. For an example of how leaders can make all the difference in people's living conditions, there is no better example than Japan.
Indeed we are doing enough in talking about poverty but not in
combating poverty in action. There is some poverty alleviation program
developed and implicated in the country too.
Dr Surendra Pradhanang of Nepal is an award winning personality whose work has helped create a new face for tourism and economic development, and the best thinker of village development and nation's development, offered, "We are on the effort of combating poverty. Theoretically, political
leaders, ministers, NGOS, INGOS and concerned authorities talked much
more about our poverty and its combat and held several seminars
and conferences on it. Consequently, poverty could not have reduced in real terms.
Each year we prioritized it in budget speech. We see the major focal point
–poverty alleviation focused even in the preamble of those of national
plans. But the implication of poverty alleviation programs is being
experienced is very weak and ineffective to cope with the absolute
A Nepali Dr Pradhanang further said " Poverty alleviation fund has been
established. Some poverty alleviation programs alleviation' were
started . Due to poor implementation and absence of honesty in program
,the output of the programs could not have resulted in
significance. Analitically, despite of the programs undertaken no
progress was made in combating poverty.
He further added "Peace and security, we want, is the common factor of development which affects the whole system of the country. 'No peace, no agreement and no security, no developments ' are the major causes of poverty, violence and unemployment. In Nepal there is still no peaceful
environment and secured life of the people. The national politics led
by the slogan of People's democracy is attractive in hearing. It
should be normalized and functioned to all Nepalese in the country.
One should not go against other when we compromise and understand one
to other. Security of the people is the buzzword along with peace and
development. Now there must not be any conflict in this respect.
Dr Pradhanang said, "First and foremost, the loss of peace and security
should bring back to the Nepalese people and community. Then
the door for combating poverty and unemployment opens. Secondly, the
massive programs on rehabilitation and economic development strategy
have to be introduced and applied.
The youths, intellectuals, experts, technocrats and above all brain power ought to be utilized for national development. In fact, national development in various fields should be handed over at the hands of experts and specialists with due consideration.
Besides, the bad influence of political leaders who are in government
administration must be dismissed from the post and power. Those who
abused the power holding government post and portfolio should be
punished as per the regulations set. The corrupted administrators must be eliminated from the government administration.
"Poverty, violence and unemployment are reactions to the Nepalese cold war, unstable political climate and economic crisis. On the other side, National productivity as well as GDP growth rate are very low. Unlikely, the current budget has estimated 5 percent growth rate on GDP which does not match the reality of the nation's economy.
Inflation on daily consumption goods is very high and unstable. The
supply system, which is not good, mostly blocked and black-marketed in
the country. The inflationary rate, it is experienced, is in between
20-30 percent, he continued.
1 | 2