Add this Page to Facebook!   Submit to Twitter   Submit to Reddit   Submit to Stumble Upon   Pin It!   Fark It!   Tell A Friend  
Printer Friendly Page Save As Favorite Save As Favorite View Article Stats
No comments

OpEdNews Op Eds

Why do so many working Americans cheat themselves?

By (about the author)     Permalink       (Page 1 of 1 pages)
Related Topic(s): ; ; ; ; , Add Tags Add to My Group(s)

Must Read 1   Well Said 1   Supported 1  
View Ratings | Rate It

Headlined to H3 11/9/12
Become a Fan
  (9 fans)

opednews.com

Now that the GOP's millions of dollars in propaganda ads have come to naught, let's clear the air. George Bush's outrageous 10 year tax cuts to the wealthiest 2% in our country are finally expiring on 12/31/12. On the same day, the current modest tax cuts to the other 98% of our population also expires. (Those cuts ALS
O apply to 97% of the small businesses in America, a fact that the GOP always neglects to mention.)


President Obama is asking the GOP to immediately extend the tax cuts to the bottom 98%. He also says that he will VETO any GOP proposal that extends the tax cuts to the rich beyond its' 12/31 expiration date. Expiration of Bush's decade-long tax-giveaway to the wealthy will simply restore the wealthy's tax rate to its pre-Bush level. The GOP (and, for some reason, the Democrats too) call this a tax INCREASE on the rich. John Boehner says the GOP will NOT extend the Middle Class tax cuts unless the Bush tax cuts are also extended, this holding 98% of our population hostage to their continuing greed.

Therefore, when you hear the GOP start to make all kinds of noise about Obama's attempt to rob the rich you will know that is more of their typical Bullshit.

If you recall, last year billionaire Warren Buffett betrayed other billionaires by admitting that the wealthy had WON the Class War, and that it was unfair for folks like him to have a lower tax-rate than the secretary in his office. The Democrats then tried to pass the Buffett Bill, which would raise taxes only a small amount on millionaires, and ONLY on the dollars that they earned OVER their first million in annual earnings. EVERY SINGLE REPUBLICAN SENATOR VOTED AGAINST THE BUFFET BILL! (Just as every single GOP Senator voted against the "equal pay for women" bill.)

One final comment: Most of my friends -- who earn anywhere from $20,000 to $65,000 a year -- tell me that the rich are not only entitled to their wealth, but "they already pay a lot of taxes." They either don't understand or don't seem to care that taxing people like themselves at a higher rate than the typical 14.9% paid by the wealthy is unfair to themselves. And when I try to explain this to them many don't even want to hear it! 

Many working Americans haven't the faintest clue that the amount of wealth possessed by the top 2% of our population is equal to the combined wealth of 100 million hard-working Americans like themselves. Are most working Americans idol-worshipers who believe in a royal aristocracy? A Leisure Class which owns garages and yachts that are larger than average folks' homes? Apparently. Go figure... ~ Brian Enright

 

www.notesfromthecanarycageblogspot.com

I am a semi-retired 64 year old psychotherapist. I am a Progressive and a Democrat. I admire FDR and Teddy Roosevelt. Despite my disappointment with the Democratic Party I find the far-Right Republicans to be much much worse. I deplore living in (more...)
 
Add this Page to Facebook!   Submit to Twitter   Submit to Reddit   Submit to Stumble Upon   Pin It!   Fark It!   Tell A Friend
The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of this website or its editors.

Writers Guidelines

Contact Author Contact Editor View Authors' Articles

Most Popular Articles by this Author:     (View All Most Popular Articles by this Author)

Waterboarding, Hitting Your Kids, Empathy and Politics

DON'T LET THE RICH AND POWERFUL SCARE YOU ABOUT PROGRESSIVISM

Why You Should Vote For Barack Obama

LET'S CLEAR THE AIR ABOUT CONGRESSMAN WEINER

"WORKERS ARE READY = WAR"

Why do so many working Americans cheat themselves?

Comments

The time limit for entering new comments on this article has expired.

This limit can be removed. Our paid membership program is designed to give you many benefits, such as removing this time limit. To learn more, please click here.

Comments: Expand   Shrink   Hide  
No comments